We Are Open By Appointment!
Restoring Cardiac Health
St. James Hospital is committed to the community in which it serves; this includes your cardiac health. Cardiac Rehabilitation (Cardiac Rehab) is a comprehensive exercise, education, and behavioral modification program designed to improve your physical and emotional condition associated with your diagnosis specific to heart disease.
The goal of St. James Cardiac Rehab is to help our patients regain strength, flexibility, and endurance preventing your cardiac condition from worsening, reducing your risk of future heart problems.
Cardiac Rehab in Two Phases
St. James provides Cardiac Rehab in two phases:
Phase II: Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation (covered by insurance)
Phase II cardiac rehab is a medically supervised outpatient program is individually tailored and lasts for 36 sessions; approximately 12-20 weeks. A physician referral is required. All Phase II patients are electronically monitored during each exercise session.
Phase III: Lifetime Progress (optional and self-pay)
Phase III is a continuation of phase II without electronic monitoring and is to assure cardiac wellness for an extended period of time. The program continues to reinforce motivation and a healthy lifestyle.
Patients with a history of:
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack) within the past 12 months
- Heart failure
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG)
- Current stable angina pectoris
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA/ or stent)
- Heart or heart-lung transplant
Evidence Supporting Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Reduced symptoms (angina, shortness of breath, fatigue)
- Mortality benefits (approximately 20-25%)
- Reduction in nonfatal recurrent myocardial infarction over median follow-up of 12 months
- Increased exercise performance
- Improved lipid panel (total cholesterol, HDL [good cholesterol], LDL [bad cholesterol], and triglycerides)
- Increased knowledge about cardiac disease and its management
- Enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living
- Improved health-related quality of life
- Improved psychosocial symptoms (reversal of anxiety and depression, increased self-efficacy)
- Reduced hospitalizations and use of medical resources
- Return to work or leisure activities
If you are referred to Cardiac Rehab with one of the above listed diagnosis, most insurances including Medicare will cover 36 sessions of rehab. Once your level II sessions are completed, you can choose to continue the program on a maintenance basis (Level III services), and pay for these sessions out of pocket. We offer Level III services at a greatly reduced rate. We can help you determine if your insurance eligibility, as well as offer financial assistance to those who need it.