First Visit Checklist
Your first cancer appointment can come with a lot of emotions as you learn more about your diagnosis and treatment plan, while also work to navigate the health care system and a new building, whether our flagship location at Strong Memorial Hospital, or a Wilmot location in the region.
No matter your situation, rest assured, the team at Wilmot is dedicated to helping you through all phases of your cancer journey. The checklist below can help you prepare for your first appointment. If you have questions at any point, please call us at (585) 275-5830.
- If you have any special needs, such as an interpreter, call your team before your appointment to let them know.
- Come prepared with any questions you want to ask. If you’re not sure of what questions to ask, this website provides ideas.
- Arrange for a family member or friend to accompany you. (Please check visitation restrictions that may be in place because of COVID-19 or the flu.)
- Make sure to bring:
- Your insurance card
- A photo ID, such as your driver’s license
- A list of current medications you take, including over-the-counter medications and supplements. Please include the dose and frequency. Also, please include any allergies you have.
- Verify the location for your visit. If you are unsure, please call (585) 275-5830 or check MyChart to confirm the location.
- If you are being seen at Wilmot Cancer Center at Strong Memorial Hospital, have a plan for parking prior to your arrival and look up directions to your parking area beforehand.
- Parking options for Wilmot Cancer Institute patients at Strong Memorial Hospital include:
- Strong Memorial Hospital garage: Patients who are just coming in for a daytime outpatient appointment will receive a voucher so it will only cost $1 to park in the garage.
- If you use a GPS for directions, to get to the Strong Memorial Parking Garage, please input: 601 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14642
- Valet parking at Wilmot Cancer Center: This option is available for oncology patients only, weekdays between 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost is $4. Patients pay upon leaving and credit cards are accepted.
- If you use a GPS for directions, to get to the valet parking area/patient drop-off area, please input: 90 Crittenden Blvd, Rochester, NY 14642
- For Wilmot Cancer Institute patients being seen at Highland Hospital, please park in the North Entrance Lot on the corner of Rockingham and Mt. Vernon. There is direct entry to the outpatient area from this parking lot; look for the Wilmot Cancer Institute signs.
- For Wilmot Cancer Institute regional locations, free parking is available directly outside the building.
- Give yourself extra time, especially for your first visit. Finding a place to park in the parking garage can take a few minutes, and then there is a short walk from the parking garage to the cancer center. From the garage, come in the main entrance and stay to the left. Walk past the silver elevators. You will see the hallway and signs that point to the Cancer Center.
- If you need assistance, there is a golf cart parked at the entrance from the parking garage that can take you down to the cancer center. Never hesitate to ask a staff member for directions if you need help finding your way!