Skip to main content

Help with Common Concerns

Home Health Care for Cancer SurvivorsThere are many questions and concerns that come up for cancer survivors. On this page, you can find guidance on who to contact for help with common issues that face cancer survivors.

Consider this a starting point. If you need further assistance, please call the Wilmot Cancer Center at (585) 275-5823, or our Survivorship Care Team at (585) 275-6956.

Dental and oral health

Because of your cancer and its treatment, your dental care may need to be modified. Before having any dental procedure, check with your oncologist to find out if your dentist needs to be informed of any special instructions. For more information about dental and oral health care within UR Medicine, visit our Oral Medicine web page.

Financial concerns

Cancer treatment is often costly. In addition to the social work staff at Wilmot, we have a financial case manager who can help you with financial concerns and coverage issues. You can connect with our case manager through a referral from your Wilmot care team, through your social worker or by calling 585-275-9476. Our Health Care Cost Estimator can give you an estimate of the cost for services or procedures. For more information, call (585) 758-7801 or visit our Health Care Cost Estimator web page. If you are having trouble affording your medications, contact your oncology team for information about assistance programs.

Getting help at home

Some cancer survivors need someone to help at home, such as a home care aide, nurse, physical therapist or occupational therapist. Talk to your Survivorship Care Team or your oncology team for assistance in arranging these services.


If you have insurance questions, it is usually best to start with a call to your insurance provider. If you need additional help, please contact your oncology care team.

Mental health

Battling cancer is one of the biggest challenges anyone can face. Many people find that counseling can improve their mental health. The University of Rochester Medical Center offers a variety of counseling services, including individual, group, family, relationship and vocational counseling. Talk to your primary care physician or contact your Survivorship Care Team for guidance.

Pain management

The Palliative Care Team at the Wilmot Cancer Center can help you to manage cancer-related pain. You can reach the Palliative Care Team at (585) 273-1154.

Physical or occupational therapy

Side effects from cancer treatment sometimes create the need for physical or occupational therapy. These services are usually provided through a home care agency or in a community setting. Our Survivorship Care Team can help you to locate these resources.

Social work

The social workers at the Wilmot Cancer Center will continue to support you after the completion of your treatment. Your oncology team can help you in getting the social work services you need.

Diet and nutrition

Cancer or its treatment may affect your ability to eat or digest food. Also, certain diet and lifestyle changes may decrease your chance of recurrence. The Wilmot Cancer Center’s Registered Dietitian is available to help you with any of these issues.

Speech/Swallow therapy

A full time speech language pathologist works with most of our head and neck patients. Other patients with speech or swallowing issues may also benefit from a referral to this service.

Medical disposal

Please contact your pharmacy to determine if your leftover medication needs to be disposed of in a special way. If your prescription medication cannot be thrown out, your local police department, fire department or town hall may participate in a “National Prescription Drug Take-Back” event that allows you to bring in your prescription medication for proper disposal. You should not flush medications down the toilet or pour them down the drain.