Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
This warm appetizer will make any occasion special. The healthy spinach filling has a zesty taste, and the baked mushrooms make for an elegant presentation. These can be prepared ahead of time and baked just prior to serving.
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1 pkg (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, chopped
- 20 medium mushroom caps, cleaned and stems removed (about 1 ½ pounds)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place parchment paper on baking sheet.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often until golden.Stir in minced garlic.
- Transfer shallot/garlic mixture to bowl and mix in spinach. Add in bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and pine nuts. Stir to combine.
- Place the mushroom caps on the baking sheet. Spray the mushroom caps lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Stuff each mushroom with 1 rounded tablespoon of the spinach mixture, mounding the filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
Optional preparation: Omit chopped toasted pine nuts and add 1/3 cup feta cheese and 1 tbsp parmesan cheese to spinach filling.
New American Plate Cookbook by American Institute for Cancer Research
Molly Miles |