Arugula and Kale Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
Of all the cruciferous vegetables, broccoli may be the most well known for its cancer-preventive compounds. However, there are many other vegetables in this family, including arugula, kale and radishes, which are featured in this salad. If you prepare this recipe with mature kale, use your hands to gently massage the chopped kale with a small amount of the prepared dressing for about 3 minutes, or until it softens.
- 4 cups baby or regular arugula
- 4 cups baby kale (or mature kale, chopped into bite size pieces)
- 4 radishes, trimmed and sliced thin
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- ¼ red onion, sliced into rings
- 6 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced thin
- ½ avocado, sliced into thin wedges (optional)
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard or honey mustard
- 1 tsp finely minced shallot
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or walnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In medium bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard and shallot together. Add oil, whisking to completely blend. Set aside and let flavors blend.
- To make salad, arrange vegetables in large salad bowl.
- Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and garnish with avocado, if using.
Heather Deal |