In Monroe County, an average of 10 babies a year have died in unsafe sleep conditions.
Comprised of health and human services professionals from a dozen Monroe County agencies, the Baby Safe Sleep Coalition has launched an intricate program to attack this problem.
Safe Sleep is Simple
- Place your baby on his or her back each and every time they go to sleep.
- The crib or bassinet should not have any toys, blankets, or bumpers.
- Your baby should sleep alone, never with a parent or sibling.
- Even a few minutes on an adult bed is risky for your baby. Soft bedding and pillows can be too close to a baby's nose and mouth, limiting his or her access to oxygen.
- Sofas and chairs are also dangerous for your baby.
Learn more about safe sleep and get a variety of resources: