The Center for Community Health & Prevention plays an active role in local community health policy. The health of the community is impacted by policies both directly related to health and those impacting all social determinants of health. The Center helps to develop and monitor local community health policy, and Center employees work through several local health coalitions and alliances to advance key policy and legislative initiatives, showing that primary prevention can work by using advocacy and policy change to improve health.
Current Policy Initiatives
- DSRIP An initiative to fundamentally restructure the health care delivery system by reinvesting in the Medicare program, with the primary goal of reducing avoidable hospital use by 25% over 5 years. The Center is a key member of the team working to move this change forward.
- Healthi Kids An initiative of Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, Healthi Kids advocates for policy and practice changes that increase the health and activity level of children in the Rochester/Monroe County area.
- Community Service Plan New York's public health initiative integrates traditional medical services with public health interventions that stimulate positive behavioral changes to improve health status.
- Rochester City Council The legislative body for the City of Rochester that, together with the Mayor's Office, works to pass local laws to govern the city.
- Monroe County Community Health Needs Assessment (2019-2021) A federal and state requirement and tool that enables area hospitals and agencies to pinpoint areas of concern and health disparities in their community, in order to make improvements in community health.
- Monroe County Community Health Improvement Plan The Center participates in this unique collective of Monroe County hospitals working together to improve the health of the community.
Links to Advocacy Resources
- The Trust for America's Health A non-profit, non-partisan organization focused on prevention, protection, and communities, working to make disease prevention a national priority.
- APHA The American Public Health Association brings together members of all public health areas in order to influence federal policy.
- Community Campus Partnerships for Health A nonprofit organization that promotes health equity and social justice by linking communities and academic institutions.