Call 1-844-453-8762 for an appointment
If you’re interested in increasing the size of your breasts, a breast augmentation may be right for you. Breast augmentation is surgery to make the breasts larger. It is done by implanting a silicone rubber shell filled with a saline or silicone gel solution.
Some women get breast augmentations to feel more confident, but the procedure can also be used to reconstruct the breasts after certain surgeries, such as a mastectomy.
If you’ve decided to get a breast augmentation, UR Medicine Cosmetics is here to support you in taking the next step.
What to Expect
First, you will have a consultation with your physician. As with other forms of cosmetic plastic surgery, you need to have a clear idea of why you want the surgery and a realistic idea of what you hope to look like after it. And you need to discuss these honestly with your surgeon.
Breast augmentation surgery normally takes about two hours. It can be done as an outpatient procedure, or you may stay in the hospital for a day or two. Depending on your surgical plan, you may receive one of the following types of anesthesia:
- Local anesthesia means you'll be sedated and the area around the surgical site will be numbed. You're awake during the surgery, but relaxed and feeling no pain.
- General anesthesia means you'll be asleep during the operation.
You should be able to return to non-physical work within a week or so. Your breasts will be sensitive to direct contact for several weeks. Healing is slow and gradual and sometimes the final results of the surgery aren't apparent for many months or more.
Why UR Medicine Cosmetics?
If you’re interested in breast augmentation, the most important step is finding a provider you can trust. The providers at UR Medicine Cosmetics are:
- Highly qualified: With any surgery, it’s crucial to choose a highly-trained, experienced provider. Our plastic surgeons are board-certified, and many are also fellowship-trained. They have the expertise necessary to ensure you have a safe procedure and achieve the results you want.
- Collaborative: We are a joint effort between three specialty departments: Plastic Surgery, Otolaryngology (ENT), and Dermatology. Our physicians work collaboratively to draw on a diverse set of skills and give patients comprehensive care.
- Researchers and educators: Many of our surgeons are teachers and conduct research at the University of Rochester Medical Center, so they are up-to-date on the latest findings and techniques in their field.