How to Apply
Applications to the University of Rochester/Highland Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program will be accepted ONLY through the Association of American Medical College's Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
The Family Medicine Residency Program participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Our residents fill clinical positions at Highland Family Medicine and at Brown Square Community Health Center. The program submits the same Rank Order List for both sites – residents do not need to apply or interview for both sites separately. Inpatient rotations, as well as the didactic elements of the curriculum, are the same for both sites.
NRMP Match Numbers
Urban: Highland Family Health Center: 1511120C0
Inner City: Brown Square Community Health Center: 1511120C1
Our program purposefully seeks a group of residents with diverse backgrounds and beliefs. The most desirable candidates share our commitment to underserved populations and are interested in the curricular areas which we historically have emphasized.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the application process.
Applicants from U.S. or Canadian medical schools must pass both Step 1 and Step 2 of either the USMLE exam or the COMLEX exam in order to be ranked at our ranking meeting in early February. We will interview applicants who have not yet passed Step 2 of the exam, but we must have received documentation of a passing score directly from USMLE by the time of our ranking meeting in order for the applicant to be ranked for the Match.
Candidates from International Medical Schools
Applicants from International Medical Schools may apply for admission to our residency program with these submission requirements:
- Candidates must submit their applications through ERAS.
- We sponsor only J-1 visas.
- You must have passed both Steps I and II of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).
- You must be certified or eligible to be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- You must have completed at least one (1) year of hands-on employment as a physician in a U.S. or Canadian healthcare facility. This means, for example, completing one year of an ACGME accredited residency program.
- Note: Externships, observerships, clerkships or internships for which the candidate has paid for training do not meet the requirement for one year of experience. The only exception is for those medical schools offering United States clerkships that are completed as a student prior to graduation from medical school.
- As a rule, we accept only those applicants who have graduated from medical school within the past five years.
- Additional information is available at the Graduate Medical Education webpage of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/graduate-medical-education/applicant-eligibility-requirements.aspx
Further Information Regarding ERAS
2022-2023 Interview Season
Interviews for the Family Medicine Residency Program will again be held exclusively over Zoom for the 2022-2023 academic year, in accordance with the guidance from the American Association of Medical Colleges. Applicants who are selected for an interview are notified by email. Interviews will take place on Monday and Friday mornings and some Wednesday afternoons during October, November, and December.
We will not be holding in-person second look events during the 2022-2023 academic year. Instead, for the 3rd consecutive year, we will hold a series of evening small-group Zoom sessions to focus on specific aspects of our program of particular interest to many applicants. More information about these will be provided later in the season to applicants who have interviewed with us.