Virtual Orthopaedic Surgery Experiences
The University of Rochester Residency Program is pleased to offer Virtual Orthopaedic Surgery Experiences for 4th year medical students planning to pursue an orthopaedic residency position during the 2021 NRMP Match.
We will be offering two ways to learn more about our orthopaedic surgery department and training program. One option will be through less-formal, virtual ‘open houses’ or ‘meet and greet’ opportunities. The second option would be through participation in a virtual formal orthopaedic surgery educational experience.
Open House Virtual Programs
- Will occur sporadically during the summer and autumn of 2020 and during the winter of 2021.
- These are flexible, informational sessions, which are opportunities for student to learn about our program and to meet our orthopaedic team – faculty and residents
- Opportunities for signing up will be posted on our website and social media platforms.
Formal Experience Virtual Programs
- These are scheduled experiences with expected attendance
- The sessions are aimed at providing core orthopaedic education and to allow students more in-depth exposure to our faculty and residents.
- The program allow students to learn more about our residency program
- This experience will allow faculty and residents to get to know the participating students (similar to how we would have learned more about the students during an in-person ‘away rotation)
- Our subspecialty services will be highlighted during the curriculum, as well as our research activities.
- Activities will include being invited to be part of resident specific didactic conferences, department conferences (such as Grand Rounds), and resident/student only events.
- Participant numbers will be limited to ensure meaningful mentorship and educational interactions with students, faculty and residents
- NOTE: Participation in this program is NOT a pre-requisite to apply to the University of Rochester Orthopaedic surgery residency program. In addition, participation is not a guarantee for an invitation to interview. Participation will allow the medical student to learn more about our orthopaedic surgery residency program.
- US and Canadian LCME accredited medical student who are planning to apply to orthopaedic residency in the 2021 MATCH
- This is not a course for credit. Evaluation and grades will not be assigned.
Format and Structure
- 2 week Virtual Experience rotations: Monday to Friday
- Session 1: October 12 to October 23
- Session 2: October 26 to November 6
- Each student assigned a resident and faculty mentor
- Students will be invited to join daily morning resident didactic conferences and trauma/fracture sign out sessions. They will also be invited to attend general orthopaedic surgery departmental conferences and other education events as they occur (such as ‘intern bootcamp’).
- Students will present a 10-minute case based presentation during the rotation.
- Weeknight student specific evening subspecialty conferences
- Monday thru Thursday; led by faculty and residents
- Student will be expected to come prepared for nightly sessions; core reading material to allow for discussion and interactive learning
- Fridays; resident only casual sessions, happy hour
- Interested students are asked to contact our residency program administrator Bonnie Schuster at email@example.com.
- AND Submit your CV, USMLE results, and a ½ page maximum paragraph describing why you are interested in participating in this formal virtual experience at the University of Rochester.