Geriatric Services at Highland Hospital
The Most Comprehensive in the Region
Highland Hospital offers the most comprehensive and innovative suite of geriatric services in upstate New York. Our leadership in geriatric care is evident in everything we do – in virtually all of our medical specialties.
From the moment a patient arrives at Highland Hospital, we are focused on minimizing stress and expediting treatment, and Highland is renowned for providing compassionate care in a comfortable community hospital environment.
Highland is affiliated with the University of Rochester Medical Center, and many of our physicians are on the faculty and/or participating in or leading ground-breaking research.
- Our Geriatrician Hospitalists are highly-trained and board certified. Highland has more geriatricians on staff than all other area hospitals combined.
- The Acute Care for Elders unit is a collaborative care environment where geriatricians work with a multidisciplinary team to manage the often complex care of older adults.
- The Emergency Department has specially-trained staff and protocols in place to streamline the care of elderly patients, and our facility is equipped with elder-friendly features.
- Highland is a NYS designated Stroke Center. Our stroke team, led by a board-certified neurologist, can evaluate a patient and interpret test results within 45 minutes of arrival. We have state-of-the-art brain imaging, a neuromedicine unit, and neurosurgeons on-site.
- The Geriatric Fracture Center — a collaboration between geriatricians and orthopaedic surgeons — uses the most advanced techniques to quickly repair complex fractures and get patients back on their feet. This model of care has been copied by hospitals around the world.
- The Evarts Joint Center is the region's premier joint reconstruction center. Our orthopaedic surgeons specialize in the repair and replacement of shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee joints.
- Our Hospital Elder Life Program coordinates the work of specially-trained volunteers who make regular visits to older patients to reduce their risk of developing delirium.
- Our Palliative Care services include treatment of pain and other symptoms, emotional and decision-making support, and the coordination of patient care during and after a hospital stay.