Your Hospital Stay
- Flowers and mail sent to the hospital will be delivered to your room by a member of our Volunteer Services Department.
- Telephone service is provided in all patient rooms.
- You may make local and toll-free calls free of charge To place a local or toll-free call, dial “9” and then the number.
- Fees will apply for long-distance calls. To place a long-distance call, dial “9” and then “0” to reach the operator, who will explain payment options and costs for your call. More information TV and phone services at Highland Hospital.
- Television service is provided free of charge in all patient rooms.
- Patients can turn on their television using the pillow speaker in their bed frame or the handset attached by a cable at their bedside.
- To report any problems with television service, patients can dial “0” to reach the operator.
- Our Chaplains are here to assist you with your spiritual needs, regardless of your religious affiliation. If you would like a Chaplain to visit you during your stay, please tell your nurse or call the hospital operator.
Questions About Your Care
- Medication questions: If you have questions about your medications or how to take them, you may call the Pharmacy 24 hours a day at extension 341-7967.
- Help with decisions: The Highland Hospital Ethics Committee can help patients, families, and caregivers explore the issues around difficult decisions. More information
- Advance directives: New York State residents have the right to appoint a health care agent with a health care proxy document and the right to state one's desires concerning life-sustaining treatment with advance directives.
- Infection Prevention: We take precautions with every patient to minimize your risk of exposure to infection.
- Interpreter and Deaf or Hard of Hearing services: If you are Deaf or Hard of Hearing or do not speak English, interpreting services are available to you.
- No Smoking Policy: Highland Hospital is a is a smoke-free environment.
- Preventing medical errors: We will continually check your identity and ask you about your care. In addition, we encourage you to speak up if you have questions about your care.
- Hospital Security: Your personal safety and security are very important to us. Security officers patrol the hospital and campus around the clock. Also, staff are trained to respond to all emergencies.
- Your attending physicians will work together with the nursing staff and various health specialists to plan for your discharge from the hospital and a continuation of appropriate medical care.
- ATMs: ATMs are conveniently located off the main lobby by the surgical waiting area and next to the cafeteria on Level 1.
- Chapel: To offer you a place for quite reflection or prayer, the hospital chapel is located on the main level next to the intensive care waiting room. This non-denominational chapel is open 24 hours a day. You may also request a visit from the hospital Chaplain. More information about Chaplaincy at Highland Hospital.
- Gift Shop: The Highland Hospital Gift Shop is located off the main lobby. It is open seven days a week and carries a wide variety of gifts, floral arrangements, and items for patients and visitors. The Gift Shop is operated by the Highland Hospital Auxiliary and serves as the main fund raiser for the Auxiliary. All proceeds are donated to Highland Hospital. For deliveries to patient rooms, please call (585) 341-8040.
- The John R. Williams Health Sciences Library, located on Level 2 of the South wing of the hospital, welcomes patients and their families Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm, except Wednesday 8:30 to 1:00pm. More information about the John R. Williams Health Sciences Library.