The flavors of fall are throughout this salad with apples, dried fruit, and an apple-allspice dressing. Barley is a whole grain with a nutty taste and slightly chewy texture. Barley also provides soluble dietary fiber. Turn this dish into an entrée by adding grilled chicken, fish or cannellini beans and serving over your favorite salad mix.
- 3/4 cup barley, dry (yield: about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup green apple, diced, skin on
- 1 cup red apple, diced, skin on
- ½ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- ½ cup celery, finely diced
- ½ cup toasted almonds, sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- crumbled blue cheese, optional; fresh mint for garnish, optional
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Prepare the barley: combine ¾ cup dry barley with 2 1/4 cups water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 30 minutes or until the barley is tender. Cool.
- While the barley is cooking, prepare the dressing. Whisk together the apple cider, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, allspice, honey and salt. Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled barley, diced apples, dried cranberries, celery and almonds.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and stir until evenly coated. Garnish with the sliced green onions and bleu cheese, if desired.
Taste and Savor