Cooking for Wellness
Black Bean Burgers with Corn Avocado Salsa
Try these tasty and versatile plant-based burgers at your next picnic! When preparing the black bean mixture, be careful not to over mix the ingredients. It should be chunky with visible pieces of black beans. These burgers can be more crumbly than hamburgers, so I recommend baking them in the oven instead of grilling. Toppings are endless- avocado, red onion, relish, arugula or any type of salsa (you won’t even miss the roll!)
Black Bean Burger Ingredients:
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp paprika or chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chunky salsa
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a food processor bowl, combine ¾ cup of the black beans and all of the red onion, cumin, paprika, garlic, salt, cilantro, salsa and bread crumbs. Pulse until combined, but still “chunky”.
- In a separate bowl, lightly mash the remaining black beans with the back of a fork or a potato masher. Add in the mixture from the food processor. Stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form into patties using about 1/2 cup of the mixture for each pattie. Place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving, so burgers will set.
Serve with your favorite burger toppings.
Corn Avocado Salsa:
- 1 cup frozen or cooked fresh corn
- ½ avocado, peeled and diced
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cilantro or parsley
- Gently combine salsa ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Top your favorite burger with the salsa.