Butternut squash is colorful and also rich in many important nutrients, including potassium, fiber and vitamin C. The jalapenos add a little kick! If you don’t want to buy pre-made vegetable stock at the store, try this stock recipe.
- About 6 cups
- Olive oil, to coat
- 1 cup sweet onion, medium diced (1 medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, medium diced
- 1 small - medium jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4-6 cups water or stock
- Coat the bottom of a medium sized pot over medium high heat with oil.
- Add onions and garlic. Sauté until golden brown & translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add butternut squash and jalapeno to pot, sauté a few more minutes.
- Add water or stock and cinnamon. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth. (if using a blender be sure soup has cooled)