Curry Lentil Soup
This simple lentil soup recipe comes together quickly with some basic pantry ingredients. The lentils provide protein and dietary fiber and don’t require presoaking. The aromatic spices combine for a rich flavor. You can blend the soup to your desired consistency. It is finished off with leafy greens to add a touch of freshness. Suggested toppings include a dollop of your favorite pesto, toasted nuts or pistachio cream that we will be making today.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup yellow onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ½ cups brown or red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, preferably low sodium
- 2 cups water, adjust for desired consistency
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh leafy greens (Swiss chard, spinach or kale, tough ribs removed)
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the drained, diced tomatoes.
- Add the lentils, broth and 1 cup water. Add salt, black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup slightly to breakdown the lentils, yet still maintaining some texture to the soup. Thin with additional water until desired consistency.
- Add the chopped greens. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
To make the pistachio cream, put the water, pistachios, lemon juice, and salt in a blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Taste; you may want to add a bit more salt. Yields 1 ½ cups. Source: The Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz.