Pair chewy, sweet dates with crunchy nuts and whole wheat flour for a “healthier” treat. Applesauce makes the bars moist and keeps the fat content down. You can easily pack these bars in your lunch box or enjoy at home with a hot cup of green or herbal tea.
- 16 bars
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2/3 cup dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (such as pecans, walnuts, almonds)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together the egg, honey, applesauce, canola oil and orange zest.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the dates and chopped nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 18-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan. Cut into sixteen- 2” squares. Store in air tight container for 2-3 days.