Cooking for Wellness
Make a batch of these on the weekend, and store them in the freezer to enjoy all week long. These nutrient dense bites are the perfect grab and go snack, or can be used to top fruit- based desserts. Today, we will “crumble” these over poached pears for a touch of sweetness and texture.
- 15 1" bites
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almonds, slivered
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup almond butter (can substitute peanut butter or cashew butter)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Unsweetened shredded coconut or cocoa powder (for coating bites)
- Place walnuts, almonds and chia seeds in a food processor or blender and process until coarsely ground.
- Add dates. Pulse a few times until dates are coarsely ground.
- Add cocoa powder, maple syrup, honey, almond butter, vanilla extract and salt. Process until the mixture is well combined. (You will still see small pieces of walnuts and almonds).
- Using a mini-scoop, form mixture into 1” balls. Roll in coconut or cocoa powder. Place in a mini muffin tin or on a cookie sheet. Freeze until they hold their shape. Transfer to an air tight container. Store in the freezer or refrigerator.
Chef Ruth Fehr