Cooking for Wellness
Lentil and Bulgur Salad
By combining lentils and bulgur, this dish provides complete protein, as well as dietary fiber. Top your favorite green salad with this recipe to turn it into an entrée. Or, fill a large lettuce leaf or blanched collard green with this salad to create a colorful, hand-held lettuce wrap!
Make the salad ahead of time and refrigerate for several hours or overnight so that the flavors develop.
- 6 servings
- 1 cup French Green lentils, uncooked
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 2 cups boiling water
- ½ c chopped red onion
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ c water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce (e.g.: Tabasco)
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard, optional
- In a medium saucepan, cook the lentils in the vegetable broth according about 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain them.
- While the lentils are cooking, place the uncooked bulgur in a metal bowl. Pour boiling water over the bulgur. Stir. Cover bowl with lid or aluminum foil. Let it stand 20-30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Combine lentils and bulgur in a large bowl. Add the red onion and parsley. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients. Whisk ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over lentil/bulgur mixture. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate. Garnish with sliced scallions.
Jane Brody’s Good Food Book