A variation of a traditional three- bean salad, this recipe combines legumes and locally grown green beans with crunchy radishes for a flavorful picnic dish! Dried beans provide folate, iron, potassium, selenium, dietary fiber and a range of antioxidants. The salad is finished with a fresh herbs and an olive oil and vinegar dressing.
- 1-15-oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15-oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed, cut into 1” pieces
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
- 1 cup radishes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (such as white wine, champagne or apple cider)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, put 1” of water in the bottom. Place steamer basket in the pan. Add cut green beans. Cover; over high heat, steam the beans until they are “fork-tender”- about 5 minutes. Run cold water over the beans to stop the cooking process. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the navy beans, kidney beans and steamed green beans. Stir to combine.
- Add the scallions, celery, radishes, garlic, parsley and basil to the bean mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss gently to coat.
- Chill for about an hour to allow flavors to blend. Re-toss gently and serve.