This light dessert combines colorful fruits with a honey-lime dressing to make a rainbow parfait. Remember the colors of the rainbow- “ROYGBIV” (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet). Each color represents a different group of phytonutrients and it is important to eat a variety of different colored fruits and vegetables daily. Top off the parfait with any of these garnishes- toasted nuts, shaved dark chocolate, yogurt or fresh mint.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries or raspberries, diced
- 1 cup pineapple or mango, diced
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, blackberries or red grapes
- 1 ½ tsp walnut oil
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 8 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Cut strawberries, pineapple and kiwi into bite- size pieces. Set aside in separate bowls.
- In a small bowl, combine walnut oil, orange juice, honey, lime juice and mint. Whisk the dressing together. Set aside.
- To assemble parfaits: Layer diced fruit into 8- 8 ounce serving dishes in a rainbow pattern. For example, add 2 Tbsp blueberries, top with 2 Tbsp diced kiwi, top with 2 Tbsp diced pineapple, top with 2 Tbsp diced strawberries. Drizzle with 1 tsp dressing. Garnish each parfait as desired.
Spiced Toasted Almonds
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss the nuts with the olive oil, maple syrup, salt and cinnamon until evenly coated.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper. Spread prepared nuts evenly on baking pan.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes until aromatic and slightly browned. Nuts will continue to cook after they have been removed from the oven.