This salad is a tasty combination of beets and pears along with tangy feta cheese. It is topped with an orange and honey dressing that complements the flavor of the beets. To add more color, you can use a combination of red and golden beets. To prep ahead, roast the beets up to two days before and keep chilled until ready to use.
- 2 medium sized beets, any variety
- olive oil, for roasting the beets
- 1 pear
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, any variety
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp walnut oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roast the beets by drizzling them with a bit of olive oil, some salt and pepper, and wrapping them in foil. Depending on the size of the beets, roast for 40 minutes to 1 hour. Check occasionally, when they are fork-tender, remove from oven.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, rub them under cold water and the skin will slide off easily. Slice into bite-sized pieces and set aside to cool completely.
- Toast walnuts by placing in a 350ºF oven for about 5 minutes or until aromatic. Watch carefully, as they can burn quickly.
- Prepare the salad dressing by whisking together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Core and slice pear. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. Add pears and beets; gently mix. Add salad dressing and toss. Garnish with walnuts and feta cheese, if used.