This “green” salsa uses tomatillos, also known as Mexican husk tomatoes. The paper-like husk is removed prior to cooking. Under the husk is a hard green fruit with a slightly bitter, citrus flavor. Select tomatillos that are firm and even in color. Store in a cool, dry place with the husk intact. We will be preparing salsa verde, which is a cooked salsa and typically used to top dishes.
- 2 cups
- 7 tomatillos (about ½ pound); husked and rinsed
- ½ cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dried red chiles, optional
- Place tomatillos in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Let stand to cool; cut into quarters.
- Place tomatillos, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt in blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth or desired consistency.