A fresh salad hearty enough to stand alone as an entrée with the added protein from edamame and garbanzo beans. Try subbing red peppers or green beans for some of the ingredients, depending on what is available in your garden or at your local farm market.
- 8 1-cup servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups fresh yellow wax beans, cut into 1 ½“ pieces
- 2 cups edamame, shelled (can be frozen)
- 2 cups red cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
- To make the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wax beans and edamame. Cook 4 minutes until beans are “al dente”. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine wax beans, edamame, cherry tomatoes, red onion and garbanzo beans.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture.
- Add prepared parsley and chives. Stir to combine. Serve at room temperature.