The dressing adds richness to this salad by incorporating whole strawberries and balsamic vinegar. This versatile salad can be served as a side dish, or transformed into an entrée by adding legumes or grilled chicken and serving over salad greens. For variations, you can add diced avocado, blueberries or feta cheese.
- 3 cups wheat berries, cooked (can substitute cooked farro)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chiffonade
- 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds, roasted
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp shallot, finely diced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Put the cooked wheat berries in a large bowl. Add sliced strawberries, basil and mint. Toss lightly to combine.
- Put the dressing ingredients into a small blender container. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the prepared dressing over the salad. Toss lightly to combine.
- Garnish with sunflower seeds.