URSMD Trainee Diversity Award Nominations
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are critical to the vitality and success of a thriving medical school community. The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (URSMD) Trainee Diversity Award recognizes the exceptional contributions and accomplishments of URSMD trainees (medical students, graduate students, residents, fellows, postdocs) who foster a diverse and inclusive SMD community.
Recipients will demonstrate this commitment through leadership in teaching, mentoring, research, programming, cultural competency and humility, community outreach activities and /or other initiatives. Award recipients will be honored during the URSMD Convocation annually and/or other appropriate occasions.
Examples of characteristics include:
- Demonstrates a sustained interest and commitment to an inclusive SMD community through program development, curriculum development, participation in community programs, etc.
- Participates in and leads activities that facilitate the culture of diversity and inclusiveness in the SMD
- Must be a current trainee of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry.
- Must demonstrate emerging or sustained commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion by documented efforts that are above and beyond the routine expectations.
- Must demonstrate evidence of exceptional efforts to promote an environment that is free from bias and discrimination.
Submission and Process
The URSMD Trainee Diversity Awards Selection Committee will choose one trainee awardee per year. Nominations will be accepted through August 2, 2021 by 4PM EST.
Nomination packets must include the following:
- Three letters that should include examples of the contribution of that individual towards advancing diversity and inclusion in the SMD:
- A nomination letter (not to exceed two pages) specifying the individual’s contributions and accomplishments. The primary nomination may be submitted by any member of the faculty, staff or trainees and may be a supervisor, colleague, peer, mentee, etc. The primary nominator will be the point of contact and will collect and submit all components of the nomination packet.
- A peer or supervisor letter of recommendation (not to exceed 1 page)
- A letter of recommendation from an institutional leader familiar with the nominee’s efforts (for example, chair, division or unit director, residency director, or dean) (not to exceed 1 page)
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae
Completed nominations should be submitted to:
URSMD Trainee Diversity Awards Selection Committee
c/o Emily Anderson, Director of Operations and Programming
Please contact Emily Anderson with any questions.