Wilmot Cancer Institute's Pluta Cancer Center, known for its compassionate care, provides outpatient medical and radiation oncology services for adults with many types of cancers. It is also home to Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta, Wilmot Cancer Institute’s renowned multidisciplinary breast cancer program. Pluta Cancer Center has been helping patients with cancer and their families since 1975.
Pluta Cancer Center is part of Wilmot Cancer Institute, a component of Strong Memorial Hospital. The integrative oncology services and programs designed to meet patient needs are supported by the Pluta Cancer Center Foundation.
Services and amenities
With convenient on-site parking, the center features two radiation treatment areas and a large infusion center for patients who need chemotherapy. In addition, patients have access to:
- An on-site lab for blood work. UR Medicine also has many other convenient laboratory locations.
- Integrative oncology services including yoga and tai chi classes, massage therapy and a monthly cooking class.
- Supportive resources including social work and help navigating benefits and financial assistance programs.
- An on-site registered dietitian who is board-certified in Oncology Nutrition and provides guidance on nutrition during and after treatment.
- Clinical trials, which are available for a variety of cancers at different stages and help lead to the next generation of therapies.
- Outpatient palliative care services to help with pain and symptom management, as well as decision-making, throughout the treatment process.
- Survivorship care planning to help patients navigate life after treatment.
- Genetic testing and counseling.
- Multidisciplinary tumor boards where each patient’s case is evaluated by our multidisciplinary team of cancer experts.
Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta
Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta is home to Wilmot Care Institute’s multidisciplinary breast center program. At Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta, our mission is to provide a coordinated multidisciplinary evaluation and treatment program focused on individualized care for all aspects of breast health in a warm and healing environment.
Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta provides convenient access to:
- Screening and diagnostic imaging.
- Image-guided biopsies.
- Surgical consultations, biopsies, minor procedures and follow-up. Surgeries are performed at Strong Memorial Hospital or Highland Hospital.
- Medical oncology consultations, treatment and follow-up.
- Radiation oncology consultations, treatment and follow-up.
- Genetic counseling and testing.
- Risk assessment and management.
- Geriatric oncology.
- Access to more clinical trials than any other breast program in the region.
Through Comprehensive Breast Care at Pluta, patients also have access to pathologists who specialize in the diagnosis of breast diseases, reconstructive surgeons and specially trained therapists who focus on lymphedema. They also have access to an array of integrative oncology services and supportive resources including dedicated social workers, yoga, tai chi, and healthy cooking classes.