Pediatric Cardiac Care Center (PCCC)
The Pediatric Cardiac Care Center (PCCC) was created in 2009 as a specialized unit within the Golisano Children's Hospital, adjacent to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). This specialized unit allows us to offer to our pediatric cardiology and cardiac surgery patients and their families the opportunity to be housed in a single physical location with a cardiac-specialized staff throughout all of their hospital stay.
It also allows us to offer the highest level of care, with a cardiac-focused staff equipped to deal with all levels and kinds of cardiac diseases, conditions, and treatments.
Cardiac Care Center Highlights
Our doctors and facility planners visited nearly 40 pediatric ICUs throughout the country, noting the best features of each one and incorporating their findings into the plans here. Our goal was to provide a spacious, up-to-date unit that was specifically designed to appeal to children and to meet the needs of pediatric patients and their families.
- We offer a 9-bed unit dedicated entirely to cardiac patients from admission to discharge.
- Access to the Ronald McDonald House built within a hospital which is only the 4th in the world of its kind and the first in the Eastern U.S.
- Most of the rooms, in excess of 300 square feet, include a phone and data line, a 32-inch television, and a private bathroom.
- Light from windows, plus floors and walls splashed with bright shades of purple, green, and blue, make the area less intimidating.
- Computers stationed outside each room to allow nurses to record medical information on-site rather than at a central location farther away, as well as wireless computers that can be brought into each room so doctors can easily show parents test results, such as x-rays.
Members of the PCCC Team
- Pediatric cardiologists
- Pediatric cardiac surgeons
- Pediatric intensivists
- Pediatric nurses and nurse practitioners
- Social workers
- Child life specialists
Parents are Key Members of the PCCC Team
Not only do we strive to provide the best care possible for our cardiac patients, we also encourage the family and loved ones of the patients we care for to fully participate as well.
Learn more about what to expect at the PCCC.