Addiction (Substance Use Disorder)
Make Appointments & Get Care
Mental Health Crisis Call LineIf you are in crisis, call the Mental Health Crisis Call Line at (585) 275-8686. Counselors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What is Addiction (Substance Use Disorder)?
Addiction (now known as Substance Use Disorder) involves compulsive drug seeking, continued use despite harmful consequences, and long-lasting changes in the brain. It is a complex, chronic brain disorder that is both preventable and treatable.
How do you know if you have a substance use disorder? Signs include unhealthy behavior that affects a person's entire life, from work to health to relationships with friends and family.
To overcome an addiction, people must recognize they have a problem and have the desire to change. Even when a person seeks help, recovery is an ongoing and sometimes difficult process.
UR Medicine's Treatments for Addiction (Substance Use Disorder)
In partnership with patients, families, and the community, Strong Recovery promotes recovery from substance use and mental health disorders through holistic, person-centered care that values diversity, teaching, and research. Treatments include:
- Alcohol Use Disorder
- Substance Use Disorders
- Nicotine Use Disorder
- Opioid Use Disorder
Our multidisciplinary team of caregivers provides outpatient treatment for substance use and related mental health disorders, serving adolescents and adults (14 years old and up). No one will be denied access to services due to inability to pay; a discounted/sliding fee schedule is available. Our holistic approach values diversity, teaching, and research.
Strong Recovery provides wrap-around support to assist patients with all facets of substance use disorder treatment including Family Services, Mental Health Therapy, Peer Support Services, Targeted Case Management, and Continuing Care Services.
We do this through several innovative programs:
Substance Use in Primary Care: This specialized, mobile team works with primary care provider offices and within some hospital units. These addiction specialists assess patients for needed care and link them to those services, such as inpatient care or Strong Recovery’s outpatient Chemical Dependence or Opioid Treatment Services.
Adolescent & Young Adult Clinic: This two-track program focuses on adolescents between 14 and 18 years old and young adults between 18 and 24. Our trained staff takes a holistic approach, tailoring care to the patient’s age and emotional development while addressing external factors that drive substance use.
Outpatient Chemical Dependency Services (Strong Recovery): We offer intensive individual therapy and a variety of group therapy options as well as medication for addiction treatments. We also provide wrap-around support, including Family Services, Mental Health Therapy, Peer Support Services, Targeted Case Management, Criminal Justice-Focused Services, and Continuing Care Services.
Substance Use, Infection Treatment and Support (SUMMITS): This specialized hospital unit provides acute medical care to people who have substance use disorders or addictions who need to stay in the hospital for long courses of treatment.
Opioid Treatment Programs: We use an integrated care model, specializing in treating patients (18 and older) with opioid use disorders and with co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders. Multiple types of therapy and medication treatments are available.
Medication-assisted treatment includes:
- Buprenorphine (Suboxone, Subutex, Zubsolv, Sublocade)
- Monthly injectable naltrexone (Vivitrol)
- Oral naltrexone (Revia), acamprosate (Campral), disulfiram (Antabuse)
- Nicotine replacement medications
Individual, Group, and Family Therapy
- Specialty groups help patients develop coping skills, build healthy relationships, set goals for recovery, learn mindfulness and meditation, explore spirituality, improve family dynamics and parenting, deal with grief, loss or trauma, cope with chronic pain, and prevent relapse. Therapy options also include intensive individual therapy and family therapy services.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Strong Recovery is a Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic—one of only a handful in the Rochester area—meaning we meet the highest standards of comprehensive patient care as determined by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Strong Recovery, using an integrated care model, specializes in treating patients with opioid use disorders and patients with co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Our program is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations and licensed by the New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports.
- We offer Sobriedad Fuerte, which is designed to meet the unique needs of our Latino patients.
- Our adolescent and young adult clinic tailors care to the patient’s age and emotional development while addressing external factors that drive substance use.
- Our Substance Use in Primary Care program (SUD-PC) provides collaborative services with the patient’s primary care provider, offering flexibility and convenience for assessment, consultation, and treatment when needed. Patients working with SUD-PC are assessed and linked to appropriate care, have access to all Strong Recovery services, and may receive services at their primary care office.
- We provide outreach services, which include peer support, targeted case management, and vocational/educational/psychosocial rehab services.
- We offer criminal justice-focused services.
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations