Inpatient Mental Health Services
Make Appointments & Get Care
Mental Health Crisis Call LineIf you are in crisis, call the Mental Health Crisis Call Line at (585) 275-8686. Counselors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What are Inpatient Mental Health Services?
Our Adult Inpatient Psychiatry Service serves patients ages 18 and older who have symptoms of a serious psychiatric illness or disorder. We provide a safe and therapeutic environment for our patients.
The service consists of separate units, including:
- A unit designed for patients aged 60 and over
- Units specialized for adults with both mental illness and drug or alcohol abuse conditions
Admissions to the inpatient service generally occur on an emergency basis. Patients are admitted primarily from the Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Service. We also receive patients through referrals from our medical services units, including the Psychiatric Consultation-Liaison Services.
We see patients within the full spectrum of psychiatric disorders, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders such as bipolar disorder
- Depressive disorders
- Psychiatric conditions caused by medical illness
- Schizophrenia spectrum disorders
- Co-occurring substance use disorders
UR Medicine's Approach
We use a team-based approach for the evaluation and treatment of each patient, actively involving families and other care and treatment providers.
Our goal is to help stabilize and improve mental health symptoms, allowing the patient to function successfully. The first step of our care is an evaluation by a team of mental health care professionals. Our multidisciplinary team will then work with the patient to create a treatment plan.
Treatment may include:
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Medication management
- Assessment of co-occurring substance use needs
- Sensory interventions
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Consultations with different medical experts
Our acute inpatient mental healthcare teams consist of:
- Attending psychiatrists
- Psychiatric nurse practitioners
- Psychiatry residents
- Social workers
- Psychiatric registered nurses
- Psychiatric technicians
- Activities therapists
- Certified Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselors (CASAC)
- Crisis Specialists
Throughout treatment, our team works closely with families, mental health care providers, primary care providers, and outpatient programs.
What Sets Us Apart?
Our service is one of a select few of its kind in the United States. We are unique in our focus of integrating medical and psychiatric care, and we are developing collaborations with similar units across the country.
We provide care to patients with mental health conditions using a respectful, team-based approach. We integrate clinical care, teaching, and research into our treatment. We also work actively with the patient, their support system, and community care providers to develop the best plan possible for each individual.
The team’s leadership focuses on developing innovative systems for the mental health care system. As part of an academic medical center, we help educate the next generation of mental health professionals. We are a key training site for several multidisciplinary programs including psychiatry fellowship programs and internship and post-doctorate training in clinical psychology.
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Strong Memorial Hospital
601 Elmwood Avenue, Unit 1-9200
Rochester, NY 14642
Patient Education & Support
Related Services & Conditions
- Addiction (Substance Use Disorder)
- Mental Health Crisis Call Line
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Emergency Mental Health Care
- Group Therapy
- Mobile Emergency Psychiatric Care
- Older Adult Mental Health Services
- Outpatient Chemical Dependency Services
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Interventions for Changes in Emotions, Perception, & Thinking (INTERCEPT)