Birth control, also called contraception, is any method, medicine, or device used to prevent pregnancy. Access to a wide variety of birth control, family planning, and contraceptive options gives you control over when you choose to be pregnant and have children.
The World Health Organization considers this access a human right. Being able to plan and space pregnancies improves health and social and economic outcomes for patients and their families.
We believe everyone should have access to a full spectrum of reproductive health care.
What Are the Different Types of Birth Control?There are many different methods of birth control, including:
- Barrier methods, like condoms and diaphragms
- Hormonal methods, including birth control pills, implanted devices like IUDs, external devices like rings or patches, shots, and more
- Emergency contraception
- Fertility awareness or natural family planning
- Sterilization, such as tube tying or vasectomy
UR Medicine's Approach
Our board-certified family-planning specialists, nurse practitioners, and certified nurse midwifes provide full-scope contraception, abortion, and family planning care. We offer personalized care, including individualized consultation to help you with your family-planning decisions.
We offer a full range of options for birth control, family planning, and care, including:
- IUDs (intrauterine device)
- Non-hormonal – Copper IUDs (ParaGard)
- Hormonal – Progesterone (Levonorgestrel) IUDs (Liletta, Mirena)
- Nexplanon (arm implants)
- Injectable contraception (Depo Provera)
- Hormonal contraception: birth control pills/patch/vaginal ring
- Emergency contraception
- Morning-after pill (Ella or Plan B)
- IUD insertion
- Barrier contraception
- Condoms (male and female)
- Diaphragms (Caya)
- Permanent sterilization
- Tubal ligations
- Tubal removals
- Natural Family Planning
- Postpartum Birth Control
- Miscarriage Management
- Medications and office-based surgical procedures
- Ectopic pregnancy care
- Cesarean section scar pregnancy care
- Pregnancy of unknown location care
Complex Contraceptive Clinic
- No/lost IUD string removals
- Difficult IUD insertions
- Deep Nexplanon implant removals
- Contraception for patients with cardiac disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV, headaches/migraines, epilepsy/seizure disorders, organ transplant, bariatric surgery, blood clots in legs/lungs (venous thromboembolism), pulmonary embolism, lupus, multiple medications, and many more conditions
Early Pregnancy Assessment Clinic
- Pregnancy of unknown locations
- Pregnancy of unknown viability
- Ectopic pregnancy
What Sets Us Apart?
UR Medicine's Obstetrics and Gynecology Division is ranked among the top 25 in the country by U.S. News & World Report. Our providers are board-certified experts in complex contraceptive care.
We can help patients with complicated medical conditions who are at a higher risk of complications during pregnancy. We also serve patients who need contraception tailored to their other medications and who need complicated IUD/implant insertions or removals.
Strong Fertility Center is a leader in fertility care, helping families grow for over 30 years. It is home to the longest-standing in vitro fertilization center in Upstate New York.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Lattimore Medical Center
125 Lattimore Road, West Entrance, Suite 150
Rochester, NY 14620
Patient Education & Support
- Birth Control Options
- From Birth Control to Sex Tips
- Medical Eligibility for Birth Control
- Non-Prescription Birth Control
- Birth Control Without an In-Person Visit
- Contraception (Birth Control) Guide (PDF)
- Contraception (Birth Control) Guide [Spanish] (PDF)
- Connect and Breathe (Loss & Abortion Support)