What is High Blood Pressure?
As blood travels through your body, it pushes against the walls of your blood vessels. This "push" is your blood pressure. If blood vessels narrow or your heart pumps more blood through them, blood pressure rises.
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
In most people, high blood pressure produces no symptoms. So, it’s important to have your blood pressure checked by your primary care provider now and then. Some people who have high blood pressure may experience headaches or fatigue.
UR Medicine's Treatments for High Blood Pressure
When it comes to diagnosing and treating hypertension, the sooner the better for your heart health. We offer treatment tailored to each patient:
- Lifestyle modifications. One of the best ways to control high blood pressure is through changing some of your habits. Our physicians can help you quit smoking, begin an exercise program, lose weight, reduce stress, and control diabetes—all effective ways to lower blood pressure.
- Medications. One or more medications can be effective, but our goal is to lower blood pressure with fewer medications:
- ACE inhibitors prevent the formation of a chemical that narrows blood vessels, helping to relax them and reduce blood pressure.
- ARBs relax your blood vessels by blocking a chemical that normally works to narrow your arteries and veins.
- Diuretics help your body eliminate excess water, reducing blood volume and blood pressure.
- Calcium channel blockers work by relaxing the muscles in your blood vessels.
- Rheos blood pressure device. For patients with high blood pressure that can't be controlled with medications, UR Medicine Cardiac Care offers the innovative Rheos blood pressure device (and helped pioneer its usage). This small implantable device, about the size of a pacemaker, helps control blood pressure through electrical stimulation of the carotid arteries.
What Sets Us Apart?
UR Medicine Cardiac Care is one of the few centers in the northeast with a clinic that specializes in the treatment of high blood pressure. The UR Medicine Cardiac Care Hypertension Clinic provides patients with doctors who are highly experienced in the treatment of uncontrolled high blood pressure.
UR Medicine Cardiac Care is also one of only 10 centers in the world that uses the Rheos blood pressure device. We were the first center in the nation to implant the Rheos device in a patient with chronic hypertension.
We also are involved in clinical studies to bring the most advanced treatments to our patients. As an academic medical center, we’re committed to bringing you the best treatments that aren’t always available at other hospitals.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations