UR Medicine's Approach
Treatment will depend on your symptoms, age, and general health. It will also depend on how severe the condition is. The goal of treatment is to ease joint pain and stiffness, and improve joint movement.
- Conservative treatments: Rest, medication, and physical therapy are often the most effective ways to treat an injury.
- Injection therapy: Some conditions respond well to medication applied directly at the point of injury. Injection therapy may include:
- Cortisone (Corticosteroid) Injections: Corticosteroids are not pain relievers—they reduce inflammation, often working within minutes. Once the inflammation is gone, the pain usually disappears as well. You can receive an injection in the doctor's office, and one injection may be effective for months or even longer.
- Trigger Point Injections: Knots of muscle that cause pain are called trigger points. These can be treated with direct injections of an anesthetic called lidocaine, which works by breaking up the tight band of muscle.
- Hyaluronan Injections (Viscosupplementation): If you are diagnosed with mild to moderate osteoarthritis, this injection may be helpful to you. Hyaluronan is a natural substance in the joint fluid in a normal joint.
- Selective Nerve Root Blocks: When the pain in your joint follows the path of a single nerve, a nerve root block injection can provide relief.
If you are experiencing hip pain, UR Medicine Hip Preservation Program offers the only comprehensive program of its kind in the region. Our team provides a new approach for active people of all ages with hip pain. By focusing on the full spectrum of hip pain and offering the very latest treatments, we are giving active patients new hope for an active, pain-free life.
What Sets Us Apart?
We offer the region’s most advanced care and widest range of treatment options for all joint, bone, and muscle pain and injuries.
Our proactive yet conservative approach gets results. While no one can cure your osteoarthritis, we can help you live better with it using a proven and multifaceted approach, including the support of UR Medicine specialists available in multiple clinic locations.
Because we’re an academic medical center, we also lead research studies so we can stay on the forefront of the latest developments in care.
Our Hip and Knee Arthritis Clinic is the only center of its kind in the region. Our clinic focuses exclusively on hip and knee arthritis, providing the very latest non-surgical approaches for reducing arthritic pain.
At UR Medicine you can expect:
- Advanced care and a comfortable environment. Our patients have access to the newest treatments and most advanced orthopaedic operating rooms. Our hospital locations are easy to navigate and provide the compassionate care you expect. Our new Ambulatory Orthopaedic Center at Market Place was designed to provide nation-leading safe and efficient care for patients, even those who need to stay overnight.
- An experienced team and specialized care. Because our physicians have advanced training and expertise, they can treat the most complex medical conditions.
Our care team is here for you. Find a UR Medicine expert and get care now.View Providers
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Carefully conducted clinical trials are the safest and fastest way to find effective vaccines, treatments, and new ways to improve health.View Osteoarthritis Studies