Notice to All EM Residency Applicants:
The University of Rochester Emergency Medicine Residency Program will have rolling interview invitations between the dates of October 21, 2020 through January 21, 2021. No applications will be accepted for review if submitted after January 1, 2021.
Prospective residents are invited to interview based on a combination of information provided in their personal statement, MSPE letter, letters of recommendation, scholastic accomplishments and USMLE/COMLEX scores. It is the policy of this program to select the most qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, creed, color, national origin, handicap, age, or sexual orientation. All applicants must participate in the NRMP.
- Applications to the University of Rochester Emergency Medicine Residency Program by allopathic and osteopathic medical candidates will be accepted ONLY through the Association of American Medical College 's (AAMC) Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- In addition to the Dean's letter, we require (at minimum), one emergency medicine (CORD/SLOE) letter of recommendation with a preference of two.
- Please remember to contact the USMLE and authorize the release of your scores to the program.
- Candidates selected for interviews will have an opportunity to interact with both faculty and residents.
- Upon selection for an interview, an email will be sent to you with a link to our scheduling software. Our interviews are held on Thursdays and Saturdays.
We encourage second looks and shadowing opportunities, these can be arranged through our Program Coordinator.
We will be using email to communicate with applicants. This will include all invitations for interviews. We ask that you check your email frequently. All questions should be directed to EM_Residency@urmc.rochester.edu or by calling (585) 463-2940.
Please review the following deadlines for application submission. Please note that we follow the NRMP rules and regulations. We will only accept applications through ERAS.
- October 21st: Application review begins
- January 1st: Deadline for new ERAS submitted applications
- January 21st: Completion of declinations to be sent
- January 21st: Closure for new information to be accepted for file review
We will offer interviews in a rolling fashion up to January 21, 2020. Despite our desire to interview everyone that applies to our program, we have a limited number of spots available.
Interviews for the Emergency Medicine Residency Program are held on Thursdays and Saturdays beginning in late October and continuing through mid-January. Emails, confirmation letters, and details regarding the selection and direction for interviewees will be done electronically.
Please note: if you decide to cancel your interview after initially accepting, we respectfully request that all cancelations are done in writing at a minimum of 1 week prior to your interview date. This allows your fellow applicants the opportunity to interview with us.
The Interview Day
Please note, due to the COVID Pandemic, we will only be offering virtual interviews for the 2020 - 2021 application cycle.
Our residents will be hosting a number of Virtual Information Sessions throughout the interview season. While these sessions are not mandatory, we strongly recommend attending one of these as this will allow you the chance to meet our residents and to get a feel for the culture of our residency program. The dates and times for these sessions will be publicized on our Instagram page and the links will be sent to you with your interview invite.The dress code for this event is casual. Please contact EM_Residency@umrc.rochester.edu for any questions regarding these events.
Please see below for a sample itinerary of your interview day. (Please note that this is only an approximation and final details are currently being finalized)
Day of interview:
7:45am - 7:55am: Zoom link will be open to join
8:00am - 8:10am: Welcome by Program Director and Meet the Interviewers
8:15am - 10:10am: Virtual Interviews
10:10am: Conclusion off Session 1
10:15am - 10:25am: Zoom link will be open to join
10:30am - 10:40am: Welcome by Program Director and Meet the Interviewers
10:45am - 12:40pm: Virtual Interviews
12:40am: Conclusion off Session 2
Benefit and Contract Information:
Review benefits on our GME Website and a copy of our contract
Applicant Eligibility Requirements