Message from the Director
Welcome to the IR Residency at UR. The Department of Imaging Sciences at the University of Rochester Medical Center encompasses outstanding education, research, and clinical excellence in a leading academic health sciences institution. Our faculty are nationally recognized authorities in their respective fields. Our clinical programs are primarily conducted at the University of Rochester Medical Center—Strong Memorial Hospital. This tertiary care center houses Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong, the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center, a Level I Trauma Center, and specialized referral services. Additional services are provided at East River Road, Highland Hospital and University Medical Imaging. Ambulatory sites throughout the community and remote sites in the area are accessible by teleradiology.
- Our residency program is highly competitive, attracting medical students from across the United States. The volume and diversity of our cases in conjunction with a dedication to teaching excellence based on the philosophy of graded autonomy provides our residents with the necessary training to equally pursue careers in academic medicine or private practice.
- Our unique practice allows training in musculoskeletal, non-vascular neuro-radiology and pediatric interventional procedures. We also have a growing peripheral arterial intervention service and an active vertebral augmentation service.
Our residents have unique opportunities. For example, we run a online, open access, peer reviewed journal; residents can pursue an editorial fellowship, concurrently with their training. Similarly, we also offer a concurrent Quality and Clinical outcomes fellowship.
- The Interventional Radiology section at University of Rochester Medical Center has a 40 year history of education, innovation and research in IR.
- Our IR faculty are diverse individuals with a broad range of skills to foster academic curiosity in an equally diverse trainee pool.
- Many of our past trainees practice at prestigious organizations and thriving private and academic institutions around the USA.
- Some recent examples include programs at Mallinckrodt, Michigan, Chicago, Stanford, University of California, Duke and of course, our own programs at University of Rochester.
- We currently offer two interventional radiology (integrated) positions per year via NRMP. If you have any questions about the Radiology Residency Programs or application process, please email Mary Jane Dyer.
We are a medium sized city in Upstate New York, located between Buffalo and Syracuse, along the shores of Lake Ontario. We serve Western New York from Syracuse to Buffalo, down to Northern Pennsylvania. The University of Rochester Medical Center, over 700 beds, with the free-standing Golisano Children’s Hospital and the Wilmot Cancer Center, offers training programs in virtually all specialties. It is also the largest employer in Rochester, New York.