The URMC Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation department and residency program are committed to providing an inclusive, supportive and equitable learning environment where all of our residents can thrive.
The Diversity Inclusion Culture and Equity and (DICE) committee strives to improve diversity within URMC improving the care we provide to diverse communities in Rochester. It also works to connect students, residents, and fellows who are underrepresented throughout the medical center. Dr. Doug Fetkenhour, M.D., leads the Department of PM&R DICE Committee and is the PM&R diversity officer representative at the institutional level. He is supported by Dr. Adrienne Morgan, Ph.D.
Dr. Adrienne Morgan, Ph.D.
Sr. Associate Dean for Equity and Inclusion
School of Medicine and Dentistry
Associate VP, Office of Equity and Inclusion
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers
Dr. Douglas Fetkenhour, M.D.
Physical Medicine & Rehab
Pronouns: He, Him, His
The URMC PM&R residents actively participate in DICE Committee activities. There are several current projects our DICE Committee is working on.
- Creating a mentorship program for underrepresented high school and college students.
- Looking at access to healthcare by reaching out to patients when they are not able to attend their medical visits.
- Improving cultural education by reaching out to the PMR&R department through emails and a box account with various resources.
- Interfacing with the URMC DEI office, led by Dr. Adrienne Morgan, Ph.D., PM&R anticipates involvement with a supported summer medical student away elective program, designed to fund individuals of underrepresented backgrounds a financially supported opportunity to spend a 2-4 week elective with PM&R at the URMC.
Our PM&R residents are provided coverage to attend the Association of Minority Residents and Fellows (AMRF) monthly meetings. AMRF is a wonderful resource and community for under-represented residents.
The PM&R Residency program has pursued a number of specific DICE interventions. PM&R Attendings and residents now take implicit bias training. PMR leadership has had extensive formal involvement in inclusiveness leadership training. New educational grand rounds about diversity, equity and inclusion and healthcare disparities are incorporated into the curriculum.
The University of Rochester Medical Center leadership has enacted a broader Anti-Racism Action Plan. The plan includes specific recommendations from antiracism advocacy groups and allies, committing to strategies and actions that strengthen institutional diversity, identifying leaders, measuring progress and providing transparency through regular reporting. Equity & Anti-racism Action Plan.
School of Medicine and Dentistry Office of Equity and Inclusion
Association of Minority Residents and Fellows
URMC Faculty Out and Ally List
Equity & Anti-Racism Action Plan
Golisano Children's Hospital Equity & Anti-Racism Action Plan
Rochester Pride Parade
URMC Networking Resources
- Association of Minority Residents and Fellows (AMRF)
- Women in Science and Medicine Faculty Advisory Committee
- LGBT Faculty Advisory Committee
- Minority Faculty Advisory Committee
- Medical Student Affinity and Interest Groups
- American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA)
- Asian Pacific American Medical Students Association (APAMSA)
- Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA)
- Physicians for Human Rights
- Rochester Medical Accessibility Coalition (RMAC)
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
- Graduate Student Affinity Groups
- Graduate Women in Science
- Graduate Students of Color
Latino Professional Alliance at March
Educational & Cultural Programs
- Tana Grady-Weliky, MD Annual Lecture on Women and Minorities in Medicine
- Third Thursdays Performing Arts and Culture
- Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion at URMC (annual poster event)
- Diversity Seminar Series (monthly)
- Biennial Conference on Healthcare Disparities
- UR Annual Diversity Conference
UR Affinity Groups
- Four Directions (Native American)
- Latino Professional Alliance at UR
- Minority Male Leadership Association
- Pride Alliance at UR
- Sankofa (formerly African American Network)
- South Asian Professional Networking Association
- Veterans Alliance
- Women’s Leadership Alliance
- Young Leaders at UR