Mark Bauernfeind, M.D. (PGY4)
- How do you like your coffee? Black: or with a touch of skim milk.
- Previous Lives: EMT; Soccer ref; CPR/BLS instructor.
- Guilty Pleasures: The beach, seafood, and ice cream.
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Nature - Highland Park. Out - Lento, Dinosaur BBQ, Aladdin's, and Pittsford farm Dairy.
- Personal Interests: Sports, pretty much anything outdoors, being a foodie, photography, travel, and time with family and friends.
- PM&R/research interests: Spine/Sports and Pain.
Franchesca Konig-Toro, M.D. (PGY4)
- Nickname: King Bull, Sonja
- Care to explain its origins: King Bull (König - king in German; Toro - bull in Spanish); Sonja (my Bratislavan alter ego).
- How do you like your coffee? Every hour, on the hour.
- Previous Lives: Full time beach bum.
- Guilty Pleasures: Bravo TV (don't tell anyone).
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Public Market, Magnolia's (killer tomato soup), Ellison dog park, Genesee river trail...& all-time fave in the wintertime: my bed.
- Personal Interests: My pup Otto, 80s music, Die Mannschaft, and Puerto Rico (kinda’ really obsessed - ask anyone).
- PM&R/research interests: Cancer rehab, Pain, and MSK.
Matt Kruppenbacher, D.O. (PGY4)
Nickname: Krupp, Croup, K-krup, Kruppadopolis, etc.
Care to explain its origins: Crazy friends.
How do you like your coffee? Strong, dark, and ground-up in the freezer.
Previous Lives: Basketball coach.
Guilty Pleasures: Candy, Fixer Upper on HGTV, and the Bachelorette…I have so many!
Favorite spot in Rochester: Mendon Ponds Park, Doggie Woggie K9 Playtime, The Daily Refresher, Half Pint, and my couch.
Personal Interests: Movies, Music, and Sports.
PM&R/research interests: TBI, MSK, Spine, and Sports.
Edward Lam, M.D. (PGY3)
- Nickname: Indoor/outdoor cat/House cat
- Care to explain its origins: I like to relax at home, but really enjoy the outdoors
- How do you like your coffee? French pressed with milk
- Previous Lives: Seafood deliverer; manual laborer; and poor student
- Guilty Pleasures: Imgur, Left4Dead2, hanging out binge watching Netflix, shopping for vintage road bikes
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Genesee river trail, Wegmans, Canton house, Grappa, COSTCO!
- Personal Interests: Charcoal drawing, experimenting with water color and ukulele. Road biking and weight lifting when I have time!
- PM&R/research interests: Too early: MSK, Spine, Sports
Benjamin Tracy, M.D. (PGY3)
- Nickname: Mahana
- Care to explain its origins: Named after a character in a movie because as a young boy you could always find me in a tree.
- How do you like your coffee? Most of the time straight up black.
- Previous Lives: I was active duty Air Force before medicine.
- Guilty Pleasures: Ice cream, black licorice, movie theater popcorn.
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Pittsford Farms Dairy, the canal, any of the many parks.
- Personal Interests: I love sports, being outdoors, reading, going to the gym, and bouldering.
- PM&R/research interests: Peds Rehab and spasticity management.
Maria Vanushkina, M.D. (PGY3)
- Nickname: Black cloud
- Care to explain its origins: I hail from Seattle; clearly it's a reference to the city's notoriously rainy weather.
- How do you like your coffee? In large quantities through an IV if at all possible; I'm attempting to transition to tea.
- Previous Lives: Starbucks supervisor; chiropractic assistant; analytical and formulations scientist for a biotech company.
- Guilty Pleasures: Binge watching entire seasons of TV shows with my cat.
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Fuego Coffee Roasters, Dog Town, Village Bakery, Abyssinia, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, and AJ's Beer Warehouse.
- Personal Interests: Most things involving water in liquid or solid state - skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, wake surfing, surfing, power boats, scuba, etc. Also, all forms of adventures and adventure sports, travel, beer, whiskey, books, and NASA/space.
- PM&R/research interests: Neuroprosthetics, brain-computer interface, spinal cord injury, osteoporosis/bone metabolism, space travel, and quality improvement measures.
Eduardo Bermudez, M.D. (PGY2)
- Nickname: E.B.
- Care to explain its origins: I went by my initials to distinguish me from my father who has the same name.
- How do you like your coffee? I’m not a big coffee drinker but I like chai tea
- Previous Lives: Bioengineering, inmate payroll manager
- Guilty Pleasures: Eating cookie dough, bingeing Netflix shows
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Highland Park, Genesee River Trail, Pittsford Plaza
- Personal Interests: iphone application development, sculpting, music, digital painting
- PM&R/research interests: Bioengineering and robotic devices to aide with rehab, EMG, pain, spine, & MSK.
Adam Michalik, D.O. (PGY2)
- Nickname: N/A
- Care to explain its origins: N/A
- How do you like your coffee? Black
- Previous Lives: N/A
- Guilty Pleasures: Cheesecake
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Public Market, Jazz Fest, close proximity to the finger lakes region
- Personal Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Soccer, Outdoor-related activities
- PM&R/Research Interests: Sports and Spine
James Snyder, M.D. (PGY2)
- Nickname: Jim or Jimmy
- Care to explain its origins: Because I'm not nearly fancy enough for 'James'
- How do you like your coffee? Irish
- Previous Lives: Quality control manager for a steel wire manufacturing plant, valve and process control equipment and application engineering sales rep, oil and gas process design engineer.
- Guilty Pleasures: Children's movies, wings at least weekly, singing in the shower.
- Favorite spot in Rochester: The Canal, Genesee Brewhouse, Pittsford Dairy, Beer Market
- Personal Interests: Football, soccer, dark beer, reading, movies, all food.
- PM&R/Research Interests: MSK, Sports & Spine
Victoria Kung, M.D. (PGY1)
- Nickname: Peanut, VV, Victoire, Vikki C, Victorious B.I.G.
- Care to explain its origins: Sure, but preferably over Sunday brunch and a Bloody Mary
- How do you like your coffee? Black or in ice cream
- Previous Lives: Filmmaker, graphic designer, waitress, barista, cytogenetics researcher
- Guilty Pleasures: Not getting out of bed. All day.
- Favorite spot in Rochester: Public Market, Roux, Joe Bean, Rocco, Cure, Atlas Eats, Highland Park, Corbett's Glen
- Personal Interests: travel, cooking, dinner parties, rock climbing, parkour, yoga, movies, music, books, drawing, writing, learning languages, space exploration
- PM&R interests: Machine-human interface (neuroprosthetics, BCI, FES), spinal cord injury & neurorehabilitation, pressure ulcer prevention.
Soun Sheen, M.D. (PGY1)
- Nickname: sheeny, sheen machine
- Care to explain its origins: Some people found it hard to pronounce my first name, so they tried to be "creative" with my last name
- How do you like your coffee? black, cold-brew
- Previous Lives: student since 1997
- Guilty Pleasures: Netflix marathon, nutella, shopping, being lazy
- Favorite spot in Rochester: yet to be found, but I heard Wegmans will definitely be one of them
- Personal Interests: cooking/plating, pottery, boxing, swimming, concerts/musicals, flower arrangements, time with family/friends
- PM&R interests: SCI, sports/spine, acute rehabilitation
Sonia Thakur (PGY1)
- Nickname: Soni
- Care to explain its origins: Short for Sonia.
- How do you like your coffee? : Freshly brewed ( french press or moka pot) with milk, whipped cream and no sugar.
- Previous Lives: A harried med student whose spectacles were always lost and shoe laces were never tied (nope, I have never tripped on them).
- Guilty Pleasures: Eating Pizza , lemon meringue cheesecake and sampling new types of coffee.
- Favorite spot in Rochester : Wegman’s ( that’s a no brainer) ,walking along the canal, Pittsford Dairy & Sindabad’s.
- Personal Interests: Reading rom-com and mystery novels, dancing and taking walks around the neighborhood.
- PM&R interests: TBI and Spine