Breadth and Integration
Inpatient training sites include:
- Inpatient adult, geriatric, and child & adolescent psychiatric units
- Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (CPEP)
- Rochester Regional Forensic Unit, an inpatient unit that treats prisoners with mental health issues.
Outpatient training sites include:
- The Psychotherapy Training Clinic
- Strong Ties, which is the outpatient clinic for seriously and persistently mental ill patients
- The Older Adults Clinic
- The Schwarzkopf Clinic, which is an outpatient clinic associated with Rochester Psychiatric Center, a part the NY State Mental Health system
- The outpatient Women’s Health practice
- The Adult Ambulatory Clinic, located downtown and which sees a wide range of patients
- The Socio-legal Clinic associated with the Monroe County Jail
- The Pediatric Behavioral Health and Wellness Clinic
The Department has providers ranging from physicians to psychologists to therapists, and is also training site for Social Work and Psychology trainees. The Department is well-integrated within many facets of UR Medicine. This affords opportunities for inter- and multi-specialty and inter- and multi-disciplinary work.
This means there can be a breadth of training opportunities.
- General Medicine, both inpatient and outpatient;
- Geriatrics and Aging;
- Family Medicine;
- Community primary care practices;
- General Surgery;
- General Pediatrics and subspecialty areas of GI, Endocrinology, Neurology, Rheumatology, and the Kirch Developmental Center;
- The Perinatal Consultation Clinic and the Ob/Gyn Department;
- Transplant programs, including the Liver, Kidney and Heart programs, also the LVAD program;
- Neurology including Epilepsy, Movement Disorders, and Memory Care;
- The Cancer Center;
- Pain Medicine;
- Eating Disorders.
The Department has other longstanding services:
- Family and Marriage Therapy Service;
- The Deaf Wellness Service, providing mental health care to deaf patients in Rochester which has the largest deaf population per capita in the nation;
- Lazos Fuertes, a mental health service for Spanish-speaking patients;
- Strong Recovery, the Department’s outpatient chemical dependency treatment program.
There are 4 Fellowships for those wishing to deepen their training: Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, and Geriatric Psychiatry. And efforts are underway to establish an Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship.