Breadth and Integration
Inpatient training sites include:
- Inpatient adult, geriatric, and child & adolescent psychiatric units
- Rochester Regional Forensic Unit, an inpatient unit that treats prisoners with mental health issues.
Outpatient training sites include:
- The Psychotherapy Training Clinic
- Strong Ties, which is the outpatient clinic for seriously and persistently mental ill patients
- The Older Adults Clinic
- The Schwarzkopf Clinic, which is an outpatient clinic associated with Rochester Psychiatric Center, a part the NY State Mental Health system
- The outpatient Women’s Health practice
- The Socio-legal Clinic associated with the Monroe County Jail
- The Pediatric Behavioral Health and Wellness Clinic
The Department has providers ranging from physicians to psychologists to therapists that are well-integrated within many facets of UR Medicine. This means there can be a breadth of training opportunities.
- General Medicine, both inpatient and outpatient;
- Geriatrics and Aging;
- Family Medicine;
- Community primary care practices;
- General Surgery;
- General Pediatrics and subspecialty areas of GI, Endocrinology, Neurology, Rheumatology, and the Kirch Developmental Center;
- The Perinatal Consultation Clinic and the Ob/Gyn Department;
- The Liver, Kidney and Heart Transplant programs, also the LVAD program;
- Neurology including Epilepsy, Movement Disorders, and Memory Care;
- the Cancer Center;
- Pain Medicine;
- Eating Disorders.
The Department has its longstanding Family and Marriage Therapy Service; also the Deaf Wellness Service, providing mental health care to deaf patients in Rochester which has the largest deaf population per capita in the nation; and Lazos Fuertes, a mental health service for Spanish-speaking patients. In addition, there is Strong Recovery, the Department’s outpatient chemical dependency treatment program.
Post-residency, there are 4 Fellowships for those wishing to deepen their training: Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, and Geriatric Psychiatry. And efforts are underway to establish an Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship.
The Department is a training site for Social Work trainees and has a training program in Psychology, affording opportunities for interdisciplinary work.