Dr. Irwin Frank, past Chairman for the Department of Urology
and Professor Emeritus luncheon meeting with residents
Grand Rounds – Special presentations made by department faculty, residents and invited guest speakers on a variety of urologic topics.
Journal Club – Selected by a faculty member, and/or chief resident, articles are assigned to residents with an emphasis placed on critical analysis of the selected articles presented, often in coordination with QA topics
GU Oncology Multidisciplinary Conference – Prepared entirely by faculty from the urology, pathology, radiology, and oncology departments, this conference discusses the management of complex GU oncology case through a multidisciplinary approach.
Quality Assurance – Prepared by residents and case based with guidance by the faculty QA officer. This conference reviews the quality of care rendered to urology patients, mortality and morbidity statistics, types of surgeries performed, and includes discussion of surgical complications.
QAPI(Quality Assurance Process Improvement) - The purpose of this steering committee is to establish and review quality improvement efforts of the department and conduct peer review. Members include: eight faculty and two residents (a PGY3 and PGY5) and meets once per month.
Indications Conference – A peer review conference of indications and planning for upcoming complex or interesting/challenging surgeries and meets twice per month.
- Urology Resident Room - The resident room is an office/sleep area for residents to go to between duties. It contains individual office cubicles with individual personal computers and telephones. Other items for resident use include a mini library containing reference materials and multiple resources, as well as a printer, sofa, television, refrigerator, and microwave. The chief residents have their own private office space within the resident room.
- AUA University - The primary educational/learning platform for the residency with access to a growing repository of valuable information through live and online educational opportunities.
- Loupes – each resident is provided one pair of loupes
- Meeting Support – By department when presenting at scientific meetings, including an annual board review course for rising chief residents.
- Book Fund – Book Fund: each resident is allowed $200/year towards books or other educational purposes beginning at the PGY1 level.
There are multiple and continuing opportunities for residents to learn from and teach one another.
Residents participate in multiple teaching opportunities, including teaching 3rd and 4th year medical students rotating through urology. In addition, senior residents supervise junior residents in resident clinic, in collaboration with clinic faculty.
Various departmental conferences such as Grand Rounds, QA provide opportunities for residents to teach and learn. Residents are encouraged to submit abstracts to the National and Northeast Section AUA Annual meetings.
Institution sponsored leadership training seminars and workshops are available in the spring of each year for those who are about to assume their roles as chief residents.
Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) Representation
This committee is comprised of program directors and a resident representative from each program to oversee residency and fellow programs at the institution. This opportunity allows residents to experience collaboration and decision making in a systems based practice.
Residents are supported through various resources including people, facilities, and educational meetings.
- Chief Residents
Chief residents provide support to junior residents in daily activities
- Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants
Provide support to residents
Departmental/Interdepartmental support/mentoring available during residency, including the research year.
- Medical Faculty Council
Residents can apply for travel awards for support to educational/scientific meetings up to 2x/year.
- Research facilities/labs
- Outpatient clinics – Sawgrass Urology Clinic, Ambulatory Center (2nd Floor), Wilmot Cancer Institute, Lattimore Office (Pediatric Urology)
- Surgical skills lab
- DaVinci training room
- Various meeting/conference rooms
- Electronic medical records
- Scientific organizations/conferences/meetings
- Resident/faculty work group meetings
- Program evaluation meetings
- House staff meetings (formal & informal)
- GMEC resident representative