Graduate study at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry means engaging in research and training that informs and shapes the world around us. We invite you to explore our numerous graduate degree programs, our facilities and resources, our people, and our community. We welcome your application to our school should you choose to apply. For more information about admissions, visit the school's Admissions Page.
Admission to the program is on a competitive basis with 10-15 new students matriculating each year. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for admissions applications to the IMV PhD program.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (institution code: 2948) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a mandatory requirement of applicants whose primary language is not English; the Test of Spoken English (TSE) is highly recommended.
Decisions are made by an Admissions Committee after review of applications and personal or phone interview.
Completed applications must be received by December 15th for consideration for Fall semester admission (new students are only admitted for Fall semester).
Application Requirements for PhD Programs
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please note that the University of Rochester reserves the right to verify the accuracy of all transcripts and test scores, and to require submission of official documentation at any point in the admissions review process.
- Create an SMD Graduate Admissions Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Uploaded copy of transcript(s) to online application.
Please do not mail a hard copy at this time.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- GRE Scores will not be used by the admissions committee even if submitted. Note, because we share our admissions system with other programs, currently we are unable to remove the field to collect GRE information. Applicants can disregard this field. If GRE scores are submitted, the committee will not look at it or take it into account when making admissions decisions.
- Official TOEFL (SMD school code: 2948, SOPHAS application code: 5688) or IELTS Scores
For applicants whose native language is not English.
The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
PhD Application Timeline
For Admission to Fall Semester
- By December 1st - The $60 application fee is automatically waived
- By December 15th - Complete application due ($60 application fee applies)
- After December 15th - applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 1, at each program’s discretion
- December - January - Interviews scheduled
- February - Interviews held
- February - March - Offer of admission notices mailed after interviews
- By April 15 - Responses due for offer of admission
- July - Online application opens
- September - Fall semester begins