Skip to main content

Highland Hospital Logo

Our History



Public donations allow the hospital's campus to expand to six acres.


A new Nurses' Residence is built and nurses no longer need to live in the "barn." According to the Secretary's report of February 1, 1915, the new residence is "of colonial design, and is as fine a piece of architecture as one would wish to see, and fully demonstrates that there is beauty in simplicity."

The hospital receives its first motorized ambulance, a gift from industrialist George W. Todd.


An administration and maternity building is built on the site of the old homestead, the original hospital site.


In a new age when homeopaths and allopaths are united and the former name no longer has significance, the hospital becomes Highland Hospital of Rochester, reflecting its proximity to the beautiful park which Ellwanger & Barry Realty, Co. have given the city.

George B. Landers, M.D., comes to Highland as its first superintendent, a position he will hold for the next quarter century.


Three Rochester hospitals (Highland Hospital, Rochester General, and The Genesee) unite in an appeal for building funds. Until this time, endowments and improvements have been made almost exclusively through gifts of benefactors.


The North Building is constructed.


Additions are made to the Nurses' Residence.


Highland Hospital School of Nursing publishes its first yearbook.