Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Department of Microbiology and Immunology strives to respect and acknowledge the experiences of the diverse backgrounds of all people. Our differences drive innovation and foster a collaborative culture that is essential to our educational and research missions.
MBI and CVBI Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council
The Department of Microbiology and Immunology and the Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology established a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Taskforce in July 2020, to explore existing resources and initiatives available through the university and medical center, and make recommendations to leadership to ensure the department and center consider actions and decision-making always through the lens of diversity and inclusion. Our ultimate goal is to cultivate a climate and culture that is welcoming, supportive and continuously improving for our learners, faculty and staff.
- Developed a group that represents grad students, postdocs, faculty, staff, personnel who reside in secondary labs outside of MBI/CVBI, and personnel who do not work in MBI/CVBI, but share our space.
- Reviewed the URMC Equity and Anti-Racism Action Plan and compared it against the recommendations included in the #ACTIONSSPEAKLOUDER petition. Discussed at length what recommendations are relevant for our own department and center.
- Developed a survey to gauge the current climate of our department and center with regard to DEI.
- Drafted an inclusion statement, solicited feedback from all department and center personnel, and adjusted the statement per those survey results.
- Developed a web presence to be used to monitor and report on progress.