UR Specialty Pharmacy
The specialty pharmacy fills medicines that are high cost and need more attention. Many times they are not found at your pharmacy and insurance requires you fill at a specialty pharmacy.
We offer many services and benefits that include:
- A personal pharmacist and medication access specialist who work with your doctor’s team and are experts on your medicines and disease state
- Calls to set up quick delivery when your medicines can be refilled
On-call pharmacist, 24/7 via our toll-free number
Education on how to take your medicine
Free supplies, such as alcohol swabs, sharps containers and pen needles
Help with assistance programs to lower the cost of co-pays
Disease specific programs to complement your current management
Help to identify, prevent and manage side effects, coordinate care with your doctor’s office and monitor response to your medicine
Option to work with your pharmacy team through MyChart
We are able to fill prescriptions for these medications for:
- Patients of Wilmot Cancer Center, Pluta Cancer Center, Strong Neurology (specifically Multiple Sclerosis), Strong Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Allergy Immunology and Rheumatology at Red Creek, Strong Cardiology and Strong Pulmonology for their specialty medication needs. We are working on expanding our services to other clinics at the University of Rochester Medical Center.
- University employees enrolled in University HSA and University Copay Plan will enjoy a reduction in co-pays.
- Employees enrolled in the HSA-Eligible Health Care Plan will receive a discount off the usual out-of-pocket cost of each medicine (prior to reaching their deductible) and then a reduction in co-pays once their deductible has been met.
- Retirees enrolled in Preferred Gold HMO with University Major Medical, University Complementary Care Plan with Major Medical, or the University Stand-Alone Major Medical Plan will receive a discount off the usual out-of-pocket cost of their prescriptions prior to reaching their prescription deductible and then a reduction in coinsurance once their deductible has been met.
Prescription Pick-up and Delivery
There are multiple options for obtaining your prescription.
Free delivery to your home or workplace.
Picking up a prescription: The pharmacy is a closed pharmacy, so your medication can be available for pickup at the UR Employee Pharmacy, Strong Memorial Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy or your clinic appointments. Pick ups can be set up with your assigned medication access specialist.
To ensure patient safety and because of legal requirements, medications cannot be returned once they leave the pharmacy. Therefore, we do not offer automatic prescription refills.
Transferring Your Prescriptions
To begin transferring your existing prescriptions to the specialty pharmacy, complete the new patient form (you may fax it directly to (585) 276-1089). To speak with a pharmacy staff member, call (585) 273-4767.