At UR Medicine we are proud to offer comprehensive care for patients suffering from all forms of asthma. Our team includes internationally recognized asthma experts who emphasize personalized approaches to diagnosis and management.
No two asthma patients are alike, and we believe that the key to successful asthma treatment requires individualized approaches. Our personalized approaches include the following.
- Identify specific asthma triggers, including environmental and occupational exposures
- Identify and treat co-existing conditions that can make asthma worse including vocal cord dysfunction, rhinitis, sinusitis and gastroesophageal reflux
- Determine the severity and mechanisms of airflow obstruction using comprehensive pulmonary function testing including bronchoprovocation testing
- Determine the immunologic basis for asthma using blood tests and exhaled nitric oxide levels (FeNO)
- Perform ongoing comprehensive assessment with a stepwise approach that includes adding new therapies to help get asthma under control, and stopping treatments that are no longer needed
- Refer patients to our Severe Asthma Program, where our team of experts can offer new approaches to diagnose and treat asthma, including FDA-approved biologic therapies (anti-IgE, anti-IL-5 therapy, and anti-IL-4-/13) in carefully selected patients with severe uncontrolled asthma
- Educate our patients about their disease and about the proper way to use the bewildering array of new inhaler devices currently available
- Offer patients the chance to participate in clinical trials investigating cutting-edge new approaches to treat different kinds of asthma
Asthma patients can be seen at several convenient locations at Strong Memorial Hospital, Mary M. Parkes Center for Asthma, Allergy & Pulmonary Care, Highland Hospital, and FF Thompson Hospital. Our locations offer full-service pulmonary function labs, inhaler teaching, and access to pulmonary specialists. Our severe asthma program is located at the Mary Parkes Center.
Mary Parkes Center for Asthma, Allergy and Pulmonary Care
The Mary Parkes Center for Asthma, Allergy and Pulmonary Care is a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to the care of patients with asthma, allergies, and all pulmonary diseases. It houses a comprehensive, up-to-date pulmonary function lab and a robust biologic therapy program for severe and difficult asthma.
Pulmonary Clinic at Strong Memorial Hospital
The clinic at Strong Memorial Hospital is located in the Ambulatory Care Center of the URMC and features spacious examinations rooms, state-of-the-art bronchoscopy suites, and a full service pulmonary function lab.
Patient Education and Support