Current Visitor Restrictions at Strong Memorial Hospital
Visitation for Patients Admitted to the Hospital
Each hospitalized patient, will be able to designate 2 individuals 18 years of age or older who will be allowed to visit. Only one person will be permitted to visit per day, for up to 4 consecutive hours anytime from 8am to 8pm. Individuals over 70 years of age are discouraged.
Download & Print the Guidelines
- Pediatric Patients – Two parent/guardians may be designated and stay with their patient from 8am to 8pm, but only one designated parent/guardian is permitted to spend the night. On the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (6 South) only 1 of the two designated parents/guardians can be at the bedside with the child at any time, as a precaution for the high-risk patient population.
- Obstetric Patients – Obstetric Patients – 1 support person for patients in labor and throughout the postpartum period until discharge, with no time limitations. During the postpartum period a second person can be designated as a visitor, but only one person may be at the bedside at a time.
- Patients for whom a support person is deemed essential to care – for patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, and patients with cognitive impairments including dementia, 1 support person may be identified and present with no time limitations.
- End-of-Life Patients – Patients in imminent end-of-life may have 2 individuals designated as visitors. These designated persons can visit the patient separately or together.
- Patients Hospitalized with COVID – No COVID-19-positive patients may have visitors unless they meet one of the other outlined exceptions.
- Behavioral Health Patients – Visiting Hours from noon to 6pm.
Visitation for Surgical Patients
For patients having surgery, 1 individual will be allowed to accompany the patient during the pre-surgical process and then must leave the premises once the patient goes into surgery. This individual may return at discharge. If the patient is admitted to the hospital after surgery, then the visitation policy above will be followed.
Visitation for ED Patients, Cath Lab and Electrophysiology Lab
The current No visitors policy in the Emergency Department will stay in effect due to safety precautions. ED space does not allow for necessary social distancing if visitors are present. Exceptions to this policy in ED include patients for whom a support person is deemed essential to care due to intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, cognitive impairments including dementia, and any patients facing imminent end of life.
Safety Guidelines for Designated Individuals Entering the Hospital
- Screening Process - Upon arrival to the hospital, all visitors and support persons will be screened in the lobby and then have their temperature taken upon arrival to the unit. If at any point an individual is identified to have symptoms, they will be asked to leave the hospital unless their loved one’s death is imminent.
- Masking – All visitors and support persons are to be masked throughout the hospital and asked to remain masked in the room while in the presence of any health care worker.
- Remain with Your Loved One – To minimize exposure for everyone, visitors and support persons MUST stay with their patient continually and are not to leave the patient’s room without the patient at any time. Please note - this includes leaving to smoke. Visitors who smoke are encouraged to bring nicotine replacement with them.
- Access to Meals - Voucher for guest meals can be purchased on-line through the following website https://get.cbord.com/urmc/full/guest_entry. Our Food and Nutrition staff will then take orders and deliver the meals directly to patient’s room.
- If you are not able to use the on-line system for any reason, you may go down to the cafeteria for your meal; however, we ask that you go to the cafeteria only and quickly return to your loved one’s room.
- Leaving the Hospital – When visitors and support persons leave to go home, we expect that he or she will continue to consistently observe masking, social distancing and handwashing hygiene to protect your loved one, our staff, and the community at large.
Until further notice, visitors must use the following entrances at Strong Memorial Hospital:
- Main Lobby entrance (open 24/7)
- First floor garage entryway (5 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Golisano Children’s Hospital & Wilmot Cancer Center main entrances (6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
Outpatients with scheduled appointments at Flaum Eye Institute, the Mental Health & Wellness center and Eastman Dental Center may use entrances to those clinics. Other Medical Center entrances will be available for employees with UR identification badges.