UCAR requires that you complete training before you can work with animals in the laboratory and/or gain access to the Vivarium. Anyone who enters the vivarium must complete all UCAR required training and must be added to a UCAR protocol.
- Complete the online staff modification form to Add Staff, Faculty, or Students to protocols.
- This form is on REDCap and can only be filled out by PI or selected lab staff. If you have problems with the link, please contact UCAR (275-1693).
- NOTE: Submitting the online staff modification form is the first step for individuals who will be added to a Principal Investigator's UCAR protocol(s). Investigators and new hires will be notified by email when they have been added to the protocol once ALL UCAR training is completed.
- Starting 3/30/2020, when the Add Personnel form is submitted in REDCap, the initial email that is sent to the individual who will be added to a protocol and to the person who submitted the Add Personnel form, will contain a link to sign up for Animal Resource Orientation.
- Starting 6/1/2020, Animal Resource Orientation can be completed in person and/or in MyPath until further notice. Any questions, please contact UCAR@urmc.rochester.edu.
- CITI Online Training:
- Investigators, Staff, and Students –Working with an IACUC
- Species-Specific Training (e.g., mouse, rat, gerbil, rabbit, non-human primate, zebrafish, etc.)
- Aseptic Surgery (if performing recovery surgery)
- Reducing Pain & Distress (mice and rats)
- University of Rochester MyPath Training:
- MicroIsolator Technology
- Rodent Colony Management 2020
- Rodent Euthanasia - Carbon dioxide (CO2) euthanasia 2020
- Birds in a Research Setting
- Ferrets 2020
- Working Safely With Non-Human Primates 2020
Important Notes on Workshops
- Rodent Recovery Surgery (aseptic technique) Workshop is required for all surgeons who will perform recovery surgery on mice, rats and birds. In person workshops will be postponed due to COVID-19 until July or August 2020. Contact UCAR@urmc.rochester.edu if you are required to complete the aseptic workshop for further instructions.
- Basic rodent handling workshops are required for all new hires with less than one year of experience who will work with rodents.
- When you receive the UCAR Approval email indicating you have been added to a protocol, you will receive an email from REDCap, if your are required to complete the workshops with upcoming workshop dates.
- You will be given 60 days after you have been approved and added to a protocol to attend the required workshop(s). If you do not attend, you may be removed from the protocol and your access to the vivarium will be removed.
- Contact UCAR@urmc.rochester.edu if you have additional questions.
Environmental Health and Safety Training
Online tutorial: Environmental Health and Safety Industrial Hygiene Unit Safety Training (if working in a laboratory)
OLAW Training (Web videos)
- Working Safely with Non-Human Primates
- Working with the Laboratory Dog
- Training in Survival Rodent Surgery