In addition to working with patients, all of our urologists are also involved in research. This keeps our doctors at the leading edge of their field, so they can give you the most advanced, most effective care.
- We are currently conducting research on kidney stones, erectile dysfunction, interstitial cystitis, incontinence, hematuria and genitourinary cancers.
- We are leading research on minimally invasive surgery techniques that are helping patients experience less pain, recover faster and have smaller scars.
- We are pioneering new techniques for laparoscopic prostatectomy using the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System.
- We offer our patients clinical trials, providing access to leading edge treatments not yet available anywhere else in the region.
Research is how we discover better treatments for disease, and the University of Rochester Medical Center is at the forefront of urologic research.
As part of a leading academic institution, the department encompasses everything “from the bench to the bedside.” It starts at the laboratory bench where research is conducted, and moves eventually to the patient’s bedside, where that research finds its practical application.
Our basic and translational research programs focus on discovering the cellular and molecular foundations of urological disease, and moving these discoveries into patient care.
Our research teams are comprised of our own M.D. and Ph.D. faculty as well as close collaborations among several departments and laboratories within the University of Rochester Medical Center. As we gain a greater understanding of the mechanisms of urological diseases and conditions, we are able to develop innovations in therapies and techniques to improve patient care.
Prostate Cancer - Development and Progression
Benign Prostate Hyperplasia and LUTS
Bladder Cancer - Development and Management
Renal Carcinogenesis and Progression
Outcomes and Tests
- Jonathan Flax, M.D., Research Assistant Professor of Urology
- Yi-Fen Lee, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Urology
- Thomas Osinski, M.D., Assistant Professor of Urology, Director of the Simulation and Innovation Lab
- Phillip Rappold, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Urology
- William Tabayoyong, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Urology
- Shu-Yuan Yeh, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Urology
Because we know that research is the key to developing more efficient ways to diagnose patients, better and less risky treatments, and ultimately life-saving cures, we place a great emphasis on clinical trials. Our goal is to provide the best possible care for all patients and our researchers are working hard to help us achieve this goal every day. In addition to the clinical trials that are currently underway, we have conducted many trials in the past.
Clinical trials are an important resource for urologic patients. Fortunately, the Urology Department at the University of Rochester Medical Center is one of the most active urologic research centers in Upstate New York.
When you work with one of our doctors, he or she can let you know if you might be a good candidate for a clinical trial. Through participation in a clinical trial, you may have access to a treatment several years before it becomes available anywhere else.
Would you like to learn more about other clinical trials at URMC? Please visit the URMC Health Research website.