Vegan Stuffed Shells
These vegan stuffed shells are full of fiber and great for heart health!
- 1 box pasta shells
- 1.5 - 2 cups roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 can or jar of artichokes, quartered
- 2 jars no-salt-added pasta sauce
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 - 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Either 8 hours before meal or the night before, separate nuts into bowls and cover them with water. Put paper towel over bowls and let sit on counter for this time.
- When ready to prepare meal, drain the cashews first.
- Put them in a food processor or blender with squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil and blend on low.
- Add enough fresh water to form the desired consistency. Should resemble a ricotta-like texture.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- Then use the same procedure for the macadamia nuts.
- Once blended, add to the bowl with the cashew “cheese.”
- Now mix in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and diced artichoke hearts. Mix well.
- Cook shells to al dente, about 6 minutes.
- When done, spread on a parchment sheet to cool and firm.
- Stuff with “cheese” mixture.
In an oven-safe dish, pour enough pasta sauce to coat bottom of pan. Place shells on top of sauce in pan. Cover the shells with a generous amount of pasta sauce. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes until sauce is bubbly and “cheese” is warmed through. Can top with fresh parsley and serve.
This dish can be made ahead and stored in the fridge uncooked for a day or two. It can also be made gluten free by substituting the shells for roasted zucchini or eggplant strips rolled with “cheese” in the middle.