The Department of Pharmacy at the University of Rochester Medical Center provides efficient, patient-focused pharmacy services to Strong Memorial and Highland Hospital inpatients, outpatients, and emergency department patients, as well as to specific groups of patients in the Rochester community.
The Department of Pharmacy is dedicated to:
- Servicing the needs of our patients and staff by providing drug information for both patients and medical professionals and promoting safe and cost effective drug therapy
- Education and training of future pharmacists by promoting teaching internships and residency programs
- Cutting-edge scientific research programs, working to better understand how the human body functions and alleviate human diseases
UR Medicine's Approach
In each of the University of Rochester Medical Center outpatient pharmacies, we provide quality services while meeting the pharmaceutical needs of diverse and often critically ill populations.
Because of our non-profit status, many of our outpatient pharmacies service only:
- Patients receiving care at URMC
- Patients attending URMC clinics
- University of Rochester staff and retirees, including volunteers
Your pharmacist is an important member of your healthcare team. In addition to performing more traditional dispensing services, URMC pharmacists are actively involved in many specialty areas.
Your URMC pharmacist can help you understand your medications to ensure that these are taken safely and effectively.
What Sets Us Apart?
Personal Attention & Counseling
Our pharmacists take the time to talk to you about your medications and to answer your questions. We offer medication counseling to help you understand your medications. Our outpatient pharmacies are located in our hospitals or close to our facilities.
A pharmacy close to home or close to the doctor's office is great, just as long as you are not sacrificing personal attention and counseling to gain convenience.
LocationsView All Locations
We serve you in the Rochester metropolitan area and surrounding region.View All Locations
Strong Memorial Hospital
601 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY 14642
At University of Rochester Medical Center, patient safety is what drives us to embrace the latest innovations that can help us avoid giving the incorrect drug and/or the incorrect dose to our customers. We employ new technologies and automation allowing the pharmacy team to be more patient focused.
Our technologies and practices include:
- Robotics and technology (at Strong Memorial Hospital)
- Bar coding
- Drug interaction and drug dosage checking tables
- Getting to know our customers on a personal basis
Follow the Directions on Your Medication
Effective pharmacy has to include the patient's ability to follow the directions of the medications. Only with proper amounts, taken in the prescribed manners, can we expect pharmaceuticals to demonstrate their effectiveness on our health.
For safety's sake most medicines come in child proof or safety-proof packaging. Ask your pharmacist for non-child proof packaging if it's easier for you to use.
If you are a person or a caretaker for a person who requires a complicated schedule of medication and therapies, talk to your pharmacist about some inexpensive tools available on the market that are designed to help you take your medications exactly as prescribed by your physician.
Learn more about medication safety.