A full range of treatments available under one roof Jones Memorial Hospital is proud to offer perhaps the most comprehensive rehabilitation program in rural healthcare. Our experienced, professional staff of therapists and technicians provide a range of rehabilitation services with proven results. We have helped thousands of patients recovering from injuries, surgery, stroke, illness, and other physical setbacks.
The following Rehabilitation Services are available at JMH:
- Physical Therapy: Using state-of-the-art equipment, JMH physical therapists evaluate and treat patients who have limited mobility and function which impacts their daily lives.
Physical Therapists and Physical Therapy Assistants at Jones use a variety of functional and evidence-based treatment methods to return patients to their optimal functional status. These methods include but are not limited to - aquatic therapy, wound care, manual therapy, vestibular rehab, balance and therapeutic exercise. Jones Memorial provides physical therapy services in preschools, and in several local schools, in addition to providing home healthcare.
Since November 2006, patients seeking physical therapy services are no longer required to have a prescription from their physician. While most insurance providers do not pay for direct access care at this time, patients can self-pay. For more information, contact the JMH Rehab Department at (585) 596-4011.
- Occupational Therapy is a science-driven, evidence-based profession that enables people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health and prevent or live better with illness, injury or disability. At Jones Memorial Hospital, our occupational therapists treat patients in a variety of settings including the outpatient, inpatient, home health care, school based, and early intervention environments.
OT uses a team approach to help people who are permanently or temporarily disabled to lead useful, sufficient lives. The services typically include:
- Customized treatment programs to improve one's ability to perform daily activities.
- Comprehensive home and job site evaluations with adaptation recommendations.
- Performance skills assessments and treatment.
- Adaptive equipment recommendations and usage training.
- Guidance to family members and caregivers.
- Speech Therapy offers the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up services for inpatients and outpatients in the following areas:
- Modified Barium Swallow Studies: a video fluoroscopic exam that uses a form of real-time x-ray to evaluate a patient's ability swallow safety and effectively.
- Speech: including disorders of articulation, fluency and voice.
- Language: including disorders of receptive and expressive communication.
- Dysphagia: including disorders of swallowing and oral function for feeding.
- Cognitive Aspects of Communication: including communication disability and other functional disabilities associated with cognitive impairment.
The JMH speech therapist will develop an individualized treatment plan with the focus of re-establishing functional communication. Treatment goals may also address specific communication-cognitive deficits through a variety of treatment techniques. Physician Referrals are required for Speech/Swallowing Evaluation and Therapy.
The speech therapy staff includes NYS licensed professionals with advanced training in speech-language pathology who are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Pediatric Rehabilitation is a multi-disciplinary group that includes physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists. This team of experienced professionals work collaboratively to evaluate and treat children from birth through age 21 who have been diagnosed with neurological, orthopedic, rheumatic, congenital and sensory integration disorders. To refer a patient or for more information, please contact the Jones Memorial Hospital Rehabilitation Services Department at (585) 596-4011.
- Cardiac Rehab provides a personalized exercise and education program for cardiac patients. It is a long-term, comprehensive program that includes medical evaluation, prescribed exercise, cardiac risk-factor modification, education and counseling. The exercise portion of the Cardiac Rehab Program includes medical supervision with EKG monitoring.
This is a three phase program that begins while the patient is in the hospital with cardiac medical problems. The second phase is an outpatient program designed to help patients make the transition from hospital back to their usual lifestyle. This phase includes monitored exercise three days a week, with a one hour educational session. The final phase of the program allows the patient to become independent and includes less supervision.
For more information about the cardiac rehab program or to find out if you are a candidate, contact the cardiac rehab department.
- Pulmonary Rehab gives people with breathing problems like Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder the tools they need to live a full and active life, despite their condition. Used in conjunction with medical therapy, Pulmonary Rehab will help reduce hospitalizations and increase activity tolerance for patients with respiratory diseases.
Pulmonary Rehab includes a program of exercise, nutritional counseling, education, energy conservation techniques, breathing strategies and group support. In addition to COPD, Pulmonary Rehab may benefit people who have sarcoidosis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or cystic fibrosis. The Pulmonary Rehab team includes the patient, doctors, nurse, and specialists like respiratory therapists, physical and occupational therapists, and dietitians. For more information about Pulmonary Rehab at Jones Memorial, contact Colleen Truax at (585) 596-4067.
- Massage Therapy is shown to provide relief from symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression, headache and insomnia. Promoting general relaxation, improving circulation and relieving muscle pain and tension.
Massage therapy is generally private pay, although some insurance providers may cover sessions with prior authorization. For more information or to make an appointment, call the JMH Rehab Department at (585) 596-4011.
- Audiology Clinic provides diagnostic evaluation, as well as dispensing and repairing hearing aids for patients from infants to geriatric. For information and appointments, call (585) 596-4011.